You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity team,

Over the past week I extensively tested Design and Photo. My feelings are very mixed.

For example I find it amazing and so perfect that both apps use the same file and also that in Photo layers can be scaled and that the rotation value always will be remembered.

In general the UI is very clean and intuitive after a day I felt home.

The pen engine is fantastic!

However what frustrates me and blocks me from purchasing the application is the fact that not high end things but very basic tools are simply missing.

For example in photo you cannot use shift and brush a line vertical or horizontal.

Path when you create a selection will be deleted.

There seems to be no way to edit rotate flip etc a selection or even scale manipulate just the selection outline.

Specifically like in my area where you touch up many sketches or illustrations Photo seemed to be very promising but in the end results into more work than in competitive products.

I know this sounds a bit negative but this is just my first honest experience with the product line. 

I hope at one point to see such missing tools be in the package because we in education also look at Affinity as a replacement for Adobe.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

For example in photo you cannot use shift and brush a line vertical or horizontal.

Yes, that’s a pity … but I hope this will be added in the future …

Path when you create a selection will be deleted.

Yes, that’s sometimes not desirable, but you can just hit Cmd+J before clicking the Selection button, so that your path will be duplicated and kept for future purposes …

There seems to be no way to edit rotate flip etc a selection or even scale manipulate just the selection outline.

That is possible already … just hit Q (to access the Quick Mask) or use the Quick Mask Button on the main toolbar, and then you will be able to edit your selection with the Move Tool just as you wanted to do.

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-61464800-1440833860_thumb.png

Hi Meb,

I also use Fusion 360 a new CAD app for Mac/Win and after a lot of initial praise users get increasingly angry because while the software adds new amazing tools basic tools they still ignore.

I know with time things will change but certain tools kinda should be common to have.

Also problem is do I buy now AD and later after to buy it again for a version with better updated tools?

That is another problem to consider.

Claas Kuhnen

ABC that works in quick mask but it is hardly useful because you can also not add more to the selection

and Photo cannot even flip the content ...

Claas Kuhnen

ABC that works in quick mask but it is hardly useful because you can also not add more to the selection.

Sorry for asking … what do you mean by “you cannot add more to the selection”? There are at least two ways to “add more” to a selection: You can (a.) either switch the marquee behavior on the context toolbar or (b.) use a brush (or anything like that) and use black or white to paint on the quick mask for subtracting or adding respectively.

and Photo cannot even flip the content ...

To flip the content of your selection, type Cmd+J, use the context menu (or the main menu) to flip the new layer you created and merge down. Indeed I found no other way. Suggestions welcome.

Hope that helps …  :)

post-1198-0-44823800-1440920316_thumb.png

post-1198-0-46185800-1440920325_thumb.png

post-1198-0-63392700-1440920729_thumb.png

ABC

thank you showing me where the flip tools are and actually one does not need to use the quick mask to transform the selection just go to the move tool.

However there are some serious issues with the transformation tools in Photo because a flip does not apply to the selection but only the layer.

Here is a screen recording:

https://drive.google.com/a/ckbrd.de/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2MjYxbG1DUFNkM0E/view?usp=drivesdk

Claas Kuhnen