You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clone brush tool missing circle and hardness doesn't work

• Staff

@michaeldrive Could you please provide a screen recording of you attempting to use the tool for us?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I don’t use OS X but the cross-hair might be persistent after you change the Width if the ‘selection circle’ only changes size after the slider pop-up is closed. (On Windows, when using the slider I have to click elsewhere to see the size of the ‘selection circle’ change, until then it shows as a standard mouse pointer.) Try using the "[" and "]" keys to change the size and see if you still get the same problem.

As for the Hardness issue, I don’t know what’s happening there. I don’t use the Clone Brush very much so I’m not the best person to diagnose tricky problems with it but I can’t see anything in your video which is unusual (apart from the result you’re getting). Have you checked to see which brush you are using? Choosing a different brush might make a difference.

I've had this before - a restart worked for me

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

@michaeldrive, my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

It's very possible this is due to your settings within preferences. Can you please open Affinity Photo > Preferences > User Interface and make sure that Always Show Brush Crosshairs is set to Off.

Please do let me know if this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you, guys for responding.

I tried all these things that you each suggested and it did not resolve the issue. (prefs/uncheck "always show brush crosshairs" box; width change, restart etc.  I really wish I knew what to do because I really use the clone tool frequently.  (Clone Stamp Tool) when I used to use PS (which I refuse to subscribe!) Help!

The only guess I have left is to select a different brush (via the Brushes Panel).
One of the brush options may be messing things up and selecting a different one (thus resetting the settings) may do something.
Try selecting the “128 Round Brush” from the Basic set and see what happens.

• 2 years later...