You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert to Image Resource: Several flaws

I was curious about the new Layer menu entry "Convert to Image Resource" and played a bit with it. Conclusion: Very nice feature, but has some flaws.

1. I created a new CMYK document, 300 dpi, PSOcoated v3.

2. Made an element having a size of 865 x 424 px and rasterised it.

3. Went to Resource Manager and selected the image (additionally made it linked for further inspection).
Original size: 865 x 424 px = Fine. Placed DPI: 300 = Fine. Original DPI: 0 = What? Placed size: 865 x 424 px = Fine. ICC profile: No value = What? Colour space: CMYK = Fine.

Finally I opened the image in PS and the image had really no ICC profile and the DPI was 96 at 865 x 424 px. I expected the image to inherit the ICC profile and the DPI. Bug or by design?

Edited by Joachim_L
Forgot to mention the value for placed DPI

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This is partially fixed in 1.9.2.1035 and beta 1.9.4.1068. Everything works, but making the file linked it loses the ICC profile and falls back to 96 dpi.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 10/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, Joachim_L said:

2. Made an element having a size of 865 x 424 px and rasterised it.

3. Went to Resource Manager and selected the image (additionally made it linked for further inspection).

After rasterizing in step 2 you should not have anything that would show in the Resource Manager. So I presume you left out step
2.5 Used Layer > Convert to Image Resource to convert the rasterized layer to an image.

Good to hear that some of the problems you found have been fixed already.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So I presume you left out step
2.5 Used Layer > Convert to Image Resource to convert the rasterized layer to an image.

Yes, this is getting embarrasing ...

------

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.