You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infinity saves

km.au

With some documents, does anyone else hit a wall where after like 200 pages of linked content, Affinity gets stuck on 10gb+ of RAM, 25% CPU and just gets stuck on saving for hours.

It doesn't crash, but it doesn't save or the UI doesn't change. The document is usable but unsavable when becomes too many pages.

Bonjour @km.au
si cela peut vous aider, je viens de créer un document de 300 pages avec images (avec lien) et textes dans le gabarit et effectivement ça rame.
L'affichage de la palette de pages ralenti beaucoup et surtout le contrôle en amont qu'il convient de configurer autrement qu'en mode dynamique.
Par contre aucun soucis pour l'enregistrement du fichier. Très rapide.
J'utilise un portable core i7 (assez ancien) un disque SSD et 16 Go de Ram, windows 10 dernière mouture.
Bon courage.

Hello @km.au,
if it helps, I just created a 300 page document with images (with link) and text in the template and it's actually working.
The display of the page palette slows down a lot and especially the preflighting that needs to be configured differently than in dynamic mode.
On the other hand, no worries about saving the file. Very fast.
I use a core i7 laptop (quite old), an SSD disk and 16 GB of Ram, Windows 10 last version.
Good cheer.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Hi @km.au , hi @Gabe
lorsque j'ai fais le test de mon côté, il est certain que la ressource demandée a été importante et les ralentissements patents.
Je n'avait pas ressenti ça depuis longtemps en faisant de la mise en page. Le document n'étant pas vraiment complexe de surcroit. Une image identique dans tout le document. Un bloc de texte 2 colonnes, non chainé.
When I did the test on my side, it is certain that the requested resource was important and the slowdowns were obvious.
I hadn't felt that way for a long time when I was doing layout. The document wasn't really complex either. An identical image throughout the document. A 2 columns text block, not chained.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Gabe, sorry for the late reply.

We are creating reports and consultants have been sending us their reports in PDF format. We've had affinity import these pdfs into a master afpub file, so like 100+ pages of native content and 70/80 pages of just linked PDF pages.

This is where the problems arise.

It can happen as above (uneMule's) experience.

To test, if you load any multipage PDFs into Affinity Publisher (over 100 pages it becomes most obvious) there is some sort of a memory leak + slowdown.

The program bogs down so much that it is practically unusable.

In the end we just create our content in Affinity Publisher and use Adobe Acrobat for merging in consultant PDFs and further editing as it handles 100+ pages perfectly and no memory leaks.

• 5 months later...