You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Disappearing Layers in Photo 1.8.4

I've created a file where the base layer is a photographed image of a house, which is then recolored in various alternative color schemes using colored shapes in multiply blend mode. Each colors scheme is contained in a separate layer group.

The bug I'm experiencing is that when I reopen the document each day to continue work, some layer groups are invisible to me in the layers panel. They seem to disappear.

Sometimes this can be remedied by expanding and collapsing other visible layer groups. Other times I must close and then reopen the document.

Please have a look at this problem.

9 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I've created a file where the base layer is a photographed image of a house, which is then recolored in various alternative color schemes using colored shapes in multiply blend mode. Each colors scheme is contained in a separate layer group.

The bug I'm experiencing is that when I reopen the document each day to continue work, some layer groups are invisible to me in the layers panel. They seem to disappear.

Sometimes this can be remedied by expanding and collapsing other visible layer groups. Other times I must close and then reopen the document.

Please have a look at this problem.

I think this is (unfortunately still) a known bug. It happens to me too (from time to time) in APhoto 1.8.4. It was reported already several times, so also here:

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

@Puck - it sounds like the issue is with the layers inside the Layers Panel and not the gap between the adjustments in the Adjustments Panel.

Can you attach a file or show some screenshots @Mark Oehlschlager

Oh, indeed. Sorry, Chris, wrong example on my part. But the bug that Mark describes also happens to me from time to time. The next time it happens I will make a screenshot.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

@Puck - it sounds like the issue is with the layers inside the Layers Panel and not the gap between the adjustments in the Adjustments Panel.

Can you attach a file or show some screenshots @Mark Oehlschlager

I found that the layer disappearing at times is also linked to the problem I mentioned in a previous post about a very erratic writing of  the caption of a layer. This problem is really terrible in 1.8.4.Occasionally not only writing is erratic but after having been able to do it, that layer may disappear.  

• 7 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, Chris B said:

We've actually got this logged but I was totally unaware of it. I will update the report—thank you!

The problem is really big. I have posted in another thead but repost here since it is A REAL PROBLEM. DAYS OF WORK TRASHED BECAUSE A BUNCH OF LAYERS DISAPPEARED. SIMPLY CRAZY.