You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DxO Nik Collection 3 crashing Affinity Photo 1.8

Please can someone help me?! The enjoyment is being drained out of my post-processing because I'm waiting for Photo to crash and lose my work/undo history options.

While using Nik Collection filters, Affinity Photo will randomly crash. It's inconsistent in as much as it will not occur every time I use one particular filter. Sometimes it will be on the first use of a filter and sometimes I will have used one or two filters before it will happen.

Affinity photo crashes and I lose everything I have done to that point.

I am using the latest version of Photo and the plugins. I have a modern PC running Windows 10 pro with 64gb ram, RTX 2070s gpu, AMD 3960x and both drives are m.2 so hardware "shouldn't" be contributing to instability or be underpowered. 

Photo works flawlessly on it's own.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do and whether other people have the same experience or know how to prevent the crashes from recurring.

My work flow is to develop my raf raw file in Develop module, duplicate my background layer and apply the Nik raw pre-sharpener to the new layer. Then I fix white balance, tone and crop/perspective using Photo's adjustment layers and tools etc. After this I use define followed by Color efex or Viveza etc.

Sometimes I can edit 1, 2 or 3 photos like this without issue and then other times it will crash multiple times in the same photo.

I have no additional programs running other than bitdefender in the background. 

• Staff

Hey Chrismlindley,

Have you added Affinity Photo and DxO as safe apps in BitDefender?

My DxO apps for the most part are pretty sturdy but I don't generally use them day to day for actual production work so it's likely I wouldn't typically see the crash you are seeing.

Can you check for crash reports too? The location will depend on the place you purchased Affinity Photo (direct from us or from Microsoft).

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

or 

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

On 8/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Chrismlindley,

Have you added Affinity Photo and DxO as safe apps in BitDefender?

My DxO apps for the most part are pretty sturdy but I don't generally use them day to day for actual production work so it's likely I wouldn't typically see the crash you are seeing.

Can you check for crash reports too? The location will depend on the place you purchased Affinity Photo (direct from us or from Microsoft).

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

or 

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

Hi Chris,

I have done as you suggested but didn't see any crash reports but I'm not sure I would know if I was looking at one unless it slapped me and told me it was a crash report. 

What should i be looking for?

Thanks again

• Staff

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the .dmp. I've made our development team aware. I'm not sure if it's worth you dropping DxO a support ticket as well. We have worked with them in the past. 

We still have a few minor glitches that need sorting from 2.5 as well. 

• Staff

It depends on its priority. 

Ideally, we'd need to speak with DxO about stuff like this as it isn't always just us that need to change something. I'll be honest though and say the 2.5 glitches have not yet been resolved so communication has dropped off somewhere. 

• 3 months later...

It's November, and I just bought the Nik Collection. I'm having exactly the same problems. One time it works, next time it crashes. I can have no crashes using several plugins or I can crash pretty much on every one. I have found my crash reports if that's any use.

I have had Affinity crash on its own account but very very rarely. Now it's becoming pretty regular. Any tips or progress?

I'm on Windows 10, up to date, Intel i5, 32gb RAM, nVidia 2060;

Edited by Carajp
Adding info