You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad/iCloud File Associations - Photo Opening Designer Files

TonyO

For some reason, and for a long time now (months at this point), when i have Affinity Photo installed on my ipad, it steals the file associations for .afdesign files away from Designer. The icon shows as the purple icon for designer files, and if i tap them to open them, they open in photo.

If i delete Af Photo, the Designer files return to having their proper blue icons and open in designer, but if i reinstall Photo, they revert back to opening in the wrong application. 

I've attached a screenshot of my iCloud drive files on my iPad showing .afdesign files with purple photo icons. It's a weird bug for sure.

I've tried removing all files from the icloud folders, deleting the icloud folders, reinstalling the apps and recreating the icloud folders by saving new files in the apps, but photo still takes over afdesign file associations on ipad. Desktop is obviously unaffected. 

IMG_0408.jpeg

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Hi TonyO,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Are you able to upload a video of this happening at all as I am currently unable to recreate this?

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Is your iCloud Drive your Default Save Location as chosen in Settings > General?
2. Are you still able to open the files from within Designer by going to Open from Cloud? Is it only when you double-click that the issue happens?
3. Can you confirm whether this is only happening with files stored in your iCloud folders or does this happen to files stored locally on your iPad too?

Sure, here is a video.

First 10 seconds or so shows me trying to open .afdeisgn files from icloud. Both from the files app (which opens them in Photo), and from inside affinity designer (which opens them correctly, but notice how all the afd files have afp icons).

Second 5 seconds or so shows me opening from 'on my ipad' - afd files open in afp and have purple icons.

Last 5 seconds show me delete photo, and files return to opening in designer correctly and have the correct icons

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm using a windows 10 laptop with Affinity Photo and Designer ver. 1.9.2 and have the opposite problem.  I have many .afphoto files and when I open Affinity Designer it steals all the .afphoto files and places the Blue Designer icon on the file.  If I double click the .afphoto file it opens in Designer.  Of course I can still open in Affinity Photo using the File Open within Affinity Photo.  Even if I save the file again in Affinity Photo it still shows the Designer Logo.  All my files are located on the laptop, I do not use the cloud, and this happens even when I not connect to the Internet.  So what to do??  Mike T

• 1 month later...