You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

chrisk

I just wanted to let everyone know that Monotype, the creators of FontExplorer X, told me via a tweet that they definitely have Affinity products on their radar for integration. This is really good news, however as with all software development they have not been able to provide a timeline. I recommend that everyone who wants font activation and enjoy using FontExplorer X as much as I have over the past 10 years, should contact them and let them know there is a huge community wanting auto font activation. It's such a pain to do it manually. See below.

@nathan_ford @monotype This is definitely on our radar, and we agree that Affinity apps are impressive. Thank you for your input, Chris! 2/27/20

On 7/27/2020 at 10:36 AM, chrisk said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that Monotype, the creators of FontExplorer X, told me via a tweet that they definitely have Affinity products on their radar for integration. This is really good news, however as with all software development they have not been able to provide a timeline. I recommend that everyone who wants font activation and enjoy using FontExplorer X as much as I have over the past 10 years, should contact them and let them know there is a huge community wanting auto font activation. It's such a pain to do it manually. See below.

@nathan_ford @monotype This is definitely on our radar, and we agree that Affinity apps are impressive. Thank you for your input, Chris! 2/27/20

MAC only and $99?   Honestly, no thanks.

After being a long time user of FontExplorer (since V1) I recently gave up on it, it really isn't that great. I tested pretty much all the options and eventually settled on RightFont, this is currently working well for me, not perfect of course but it's doing a good job and the auto activation works well with all Affinity apps. It actually works better with Adobe apps than FontExplorer and it's (usually out of date) activation plugins.

• Staff

Hi DesignSurge,
You have to enable (add) the interception of font requests for Affinity apps in the Font Requests tab, in Font Explorer Preferences (see attached screenshot below). Then every time a document uses a non-activated font it should display the Font Request dialog shown below as well.

preferences.png  request_dialog.png

I am aware of the need to use the interception of font requests setting, it may have been related to my own system but I still found it to be generally unreliable. This wasn't just an Affinity issue, integration with Adobe never seemed to be as good as expected either. Right Font is working out for me at present so I am happy with the change.

• 8 months later...
Anyone has good experience with the Mac FEX 7.2.6 Discovery Engine? I only have the System and All Users fonts (685) and was told that it will take 11 min or so to initialize. Watching the FEXFontDiscoveryHelper app in Activity Monitor for the last 30 min. No CPU activity but the Starting Discovery Engines features... progress bar is filled to the right. When I stopped it and restarted again, it gave that 11 min estime again. No reassurance that it is working at all.