You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to Affinity Photo and just migrated from Photoshop. Affinity is better for me in many ways but one: the paint bucket.
A very important part of my work is based on draw shapes using a specific brush size and hardness then filling it with the paint bucket.
But Affinity Photo's bucket destroys the outside lines making it harsh and horrible.

If I can't find a fix for this issue I'll have to back to Adobe Photoshop.

Can you post a video or pictures depicting what you're saying as I don't see any problem on my side?

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I think this might be down to how the Contiguous option of the Flood Fill Tools works out what is contiguous.
In my attached video you can see what happens when I try to use the Flood Fill twice.
The ‘contiguous’ area at one point seems to encapsulate what is also on the other side of the ‘black ring’ and not just the interior ‘white ring’. This might have something to do with opacity or something like that but I’m not an expert.
It would be interesting to hear what’s happening here from someone who knows about this sort of thing as this doesn’t seem to work as I would expect it to.

Try it with a much higher tolerance (in the 90's) but not 100% - 100% is bad

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just tried it with a 99% tolerance and it seems to have worked but it didn’t earlier today (I tried all sorts of values, as well as 100%). Wonder what I’m doing differently this time as the number of steps isn’t particularly large. Oh well, at least it looks to be sorted now, for me at least. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Rafael Lago said:

I'm new to Affinity Photo and just migrated from Photoshop. Affinity is better for me in many ways but one: the paint bucket.
A very important part of my work is based on draw shapes using a specific brush size and hardness then filling it with the paint bucket.
But Affinity Photo's bucket destroys the outside lines making it harsh and horrible.

If I can't find a fix for this issue I'll have to back to Adobe Photoshop.

The paint bucket lacks a "protect alpha" control, but you can temporarily disable alpha editing in the Channels panel so that semi-transparent edges do not become fully opaque.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Try it with a much higher tolerance (in the 90's) but not 100% - 100% is bad

Thanks everyone!
Using "Contiguous" and "99% Tolerance" worked almost perfectly. You still can see a halo in the inside line if you try hard. But almost is enough for me! Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 11.58.17 AM.png