You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer & Photo massive crashes

Hello, I was a longtime adobe user, and finally bought Affinity Designer and Photo for my design work, I had been doing wonderfully until today. I woke up, got a call from a client, started working some designs and then found that that both Designer and Photo had a massive failure.

I cannot use the stock feature as it will either crash or load some images, then I try to go down and it either crashes to loads up slowly.

If I even click on Text Style, both programs will crash.

Both Photo and Designer have become slow and prone to crashes.

I have already uninstalled all the fonts I have installed in the last few days.

I have uninstalled and deleted the %appdata% folder for designer too as that was the first one that got issues and it's my main work tool, then I reinstalled and it did no good.

I have some design work that I cannot complete because of the crashes, and I had to remove key fonts of the designs, this is hitting me really hard and I don't know what to do. The programs had been working amazingly well right up until this morning. I am desperate.

Edited by JoshDesign

Hi Josh, this may be an option to try...

Reset To Factory defaults

Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Press the Select All button then press the Clear button. Note this will reset everything to app defaults - user preferences, palettes, macros, brushes, EVERYTHING. If you want to reset just the UI and user prefs leave just the first three checkboxes ticked and press the Clear button.

Also, have you received any windows updates overnight?

Under Preferences, do you have Metal enabled?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I did reset the program to default settings multiple times and nothing helped.  my computer hasn't updated windows lately. I don't know about that "Metal" thing in preferences.

That said, most of the functions have returned to their usual speed. But I had to disable the studio for text styles and stock because they still lag and crash my apps. It's unnerving.

Edited by JoshDesign

„Metal“ is the Apple standard for graphic processing. With the Affinity products it enables the use of all available GPUs at the same time. Slick - but Mac-only.

No idea what causes the problems you have. Normally somebody from staff will show up on crash reports and try to sort things out. 

• Staff

Hi @JoshDesign,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a copy of your crash reports, as these should hopefully indicate why Affinity is closing for you.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

&

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens you will find Crash Reports generated by our apps. Please upload the .dmp file with the latest Created/Modified Date here.

Many thanks again :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 8:50 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @JoshDesign,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a copy of your crash reports, as these should hopefully indicate why Affinity is closing for you.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

&

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens you will find Crash Reports generated by our apps. Please upload the .dmp file with the latest Created/Modified Date here.

I'm sorry for being so late (months late) to reporting this again. I panicked and just worked with what I had to finish the work for my clients, haven't used affinity apps much since. I had to deactivate the studio for text styles and stock. Nothing ever helped. And now I have another problem with the pencil tool which brought be back here and I will make a thread for it.

As for the report files. Here it is. For Photo atleast, I just got designer to crash again and again but it doesn't pop the report file.

ccd13ef4-2348-4d2b-8d2b-02e8dc5e7d54.dmp

• Staff

Thanks for your patience, the crash report shows the app crashing when accessing a Parent/Child object - without mentioning the Styles or Stock Studios.

If you create a new document and try using either of these, does the app still crash?

Do you have any linked/parent & child objects in your document? (such as symbols, linked documents etc)

On 8/19/2020 at 6:17 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for your patience, the crash report shows the app crashing when accessing a Parent/Child object - without mentioning the Styles or Stock Studios.

If you create a new document and try using either of these, does the app still crash?

Do you have any linked/parent & child objects in your document? (such as symbols, linked documents etc)

It's me who should thank you Dan C, thanks for helping me out here!

Now, in regards to the thing about Parent/Child. I don't know what Parent/Child Object means... but I did upload some logos from my clients on png to the assets studio. Does that count? that said, those assets work perfectly fine. Could it be that somehow they messed up the stock and text style studios? Should I deleted to check if it works?

Now, about making a new document and using the studios, I just did. it seems like as long as I don't touch anything on text styles the app won't crash, but as soon as I click on the bar to go down on the window it crashes, but Affinity Designer still doesn't generate any report file. Stock studio is just massively slower than when I first got the app, like so slow I would rather search on the actual pages for stock images, but if I don't inmediately choose a tool it usually doesn't crash. I don't think that lag is normal for my specs because my pc is reasonably powerful for the apps. 

All this also applies to Photo. Since Designer doesn't even produce a report file, I bet Photo's haven't changed. But here it goes if it helps anything.

I hope you can help me because Affinity apps are the best apps I've ever used for my work and I am not intending to go back to adobe, But I feel somewhat handicapped with these issues. For what is worth, my apps are also a bit slower than when I bought 'em, the program freezes for a few seconds when I pick some tools (not everytime) Not worldending threat, but when I first got the apps they were silky smooth. I heard the performance on mac is better than Windows, but might as well post it here so that It can get looked at by the team :D

ccd13ef4-2348-4d2b-8d2b-02e8dc5e7d54.dmp

• Staff
On 8/25/2020 at 3:42 AM, JoshDesign said:

Now, in regards to the thing about Parent/Child. I don't know what Parent/Child Object means... but I did upload some logos from my clients on png to the assets studio. Does that count? that said, those assets work perfectly fine. Could it be that somehow they messed up the stock and text style studios? Should I deleted to check if it works?

The Assets aren't Parent/Child objects - these are when a layer is clipped, or clipped and masked to another layer, meaning the parent object (the rectangle in my below screenshot) has a child object (the image layer) and the image is only drawn where the rectangle is drawn (this is clipping with a Parent/Child object) -

Annotation 2020-08-26 154735.png

Could you provide a screenshot of your layers panel, showing the layers in your document if possible?

On 8/25/2020 at 3:42 AM, JoshDesign said:

Now, about making a new document and using the studios, I just did. it seems like as long as I don't touch anything on text styles the app won't crash, but as soon as I click on the bar to go down on the window it crashes, but Affinity Designer still doesn't generate any report file. Stock studio is just massively slower than when I first got the app, like so slow I would rather search on the actual pages for stock images, but if I don't inmediately choose a tool it usually doesn't crash. I don't think that lag is normal for my specs because my pc is reasonably powerful for the apps. 

I'd like to try resetting your app back to default settings to see if this helps - you can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity: Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. - https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please do let me know if this helps!

On 8/26/2020 at 9:50 AM, Dan C said:

The Assets aren't Parent/Child objects - these are when a layer is clipped, or clipped and masked to another layer, meaning the parent object (the rectangle in my below screenshot) has a child object (the image layer) and the image is only drawn where the rectangle is drawn (this is clipping with a Parent/Child object) -

Annotation 2020-08-26 154735.png

Could you provide a screenshot of your layers panel, showing the layers in your document if possible?

I'd like to try resetting your app back to default settings to see if this helps - you can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity: Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. - https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please do let me know if this helps!

Oh! you're talking about that. Yeah I got some layers parented to others. Here you go a screen shot.

As I said before, I did reset everything to default, like 2 times. I didn't help :C

Untitled.jpg