You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created a text box for headers at the top of my pages.

I want the headers on even (left) pages to say "Chapter One", "Chapter Two", etc. while the headers on the odd (right) pages contain the name of the chapter.

So I know I need to make each chapter a Section, and I inserted the Section Name as a field for the odd page header. But how can I create an automatically incrementing field for the chapter number as a word?

2020-06-23 (2).png

As you are already typing in the name of the chapter into the Section Name you could try using a pair of connected Text Frames and then have "One [frame break character] The Beginning Title" as the Section Name then just have the word "Chapter <Section Name>" in the Master Page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As you are already typing in the name of the chapter into the Section Name you could try using a pair of connected Text Frames and then have "One [frame break character] The Beginning Title" as the Section Name then just have the word "Chapter <Section Name>" in the Master Page.

How do I insert a Frame Break character into the Section Name field? It doesn't seem to let me do that, only into Text Boxes.

20 hours ago, CylonRaven said:

How do I insert a Frame Break character into the Section Name field? It doesn't seem to let me do that, only into Text Boxes.

Good grief I am sorry that I didn't say you have to copy paste that one. Kind of an essential piece of information. I turn on the Show Special Characters in order to see these sort of breaks then just select it by using the Shift key and the arrow keys.

394641414_ScreenShot2020-06-25at7_19_02AM.png.9e785bc428226a84bceef5eb376f5397.png

I should also say that I wish the Sections was a bit more robust regarding Navigation, Dynamic use, Search and Destroy Find and Replace and many other things such as this case you have.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Forgive me for being dense, but I still don't understand how you're making that work.

I created two text boxes, one flowing to the other (because otherwise the text after the frame break disappears). Here you can see where I inserted the Frame Break. But afterwards, I cannot find the Frame Break character even with Show Special Characters enabled. And when I copy all of the text (in both frames) and paste it into the Section Title, no Frame Break.

2020-06-25.png

after.png

It is right there after the 'e' in One

1308341048_ScreenShot2020-06-26at6_33_49AM.png.057cff69793b89aa41e93ada85b1ff65.png

48 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

Okay, I see it. But I still cannot copy-paste it into the Section Title. I just get OneChapter Title. The Frame Break character does not copy over.

This is driving me nuts, could have sworn it worked with copy paste of Frame Break. Here I can get it to work with Page Break via copy and paste. I include a file which may help you more than my previous useless advice.

Untitled.afpub

53 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This is driving me nuts, could have sworn it worked with copy paste of Frame Break.

Another alternative to the copy/paste, in case it helps:

1. Make the Section Name something like: One:::Chapter Title
  2. Later, after all the pages are in place, use Find/Replace:
  3. Find :::
  4. Replace with a Frame Break from the Replace "Special Characters" pulldown menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I appreciate all these tips. I wish I could figure out if my inability to implement them is because my app just isn't behaving the same way as yours, or because I am missing a key step.

I tried Old Bruce's way. While I can see the Page Break in his sample template, it does not work when I try copy-pasting a Frame Break into my Section Names.

Next I tried walt's idea. Find/Replace does not seem to work on text that is in a field (i.e. inserted via the Section Name field). But I did see the little down arrow in the Special Characters box (see screenshot), and I was actually able to copy paste that into my Section Name field! But -- it did act as a Frame Break, but I also get the literal "<Frame Break>" text.

2020-06-26.png

57 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

Next I tried walt's idea. Find/Replace does not seem to work on text that is in a field

Sorry; I neglected to try it with a Field.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1