You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Photo: changing HSL reverts Opacity to 100%

If you mean the HSL wheel (or slider) opacity setting (not the brush opacity setting) reverts to 100% if you change H, S, or L, then yes, that happens on my Mac as well. But I would expect that behavior, as I'm effectively choosing a new color. 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

12 hours ago, appearsharmless said:

If you mean the HSL wheel (or slider) opacity setting (not the brush opacity setting) reverts to 100% if you change H, S, or L, then yes, that happens on my Mac as well. But I would expect that behavior, as I'm effectively choosing a new color. 

Yes, we need to be clear on whether we're talking about the color opacity or the brush opacity :)

However, on Windows, changing H, S, or L of a color using the Color panel does not change the opacity in the Color panel nor the opacity of the brush.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmmm... I can see where the behavior of the Windows version might be preferable. If you have the Color panel set to less than 100% opacity, and change H, S, or L, is a new swatch added to "Recent" on the swatches panel, reflecting that change? Can anyone on Windows confirm?

Edited by appearsharmless
I'm an idiot

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

15 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Can anyone confirm:

in HSL color mode, using a brush, if you've set Opacity to other than 100%, then change H, S or L, Opacity reverts to 100%?

Yes, on macOS, editing primary or secondary colour (any mode, not only HSL) when Paint Brush Tool is active will set opacity of the colour to 100%, whereas editing vector stroke or fill colour does not change the opacity of the colour.

OP here: I didn't adjust the brush, only the color in the color studio.

Having opacity "stay put" would be extremely useful for painting different colors in the same opacity. Yes, you could remember that you set it to 38% but when you're in the zone, you just want to paint, not configurate sliders.

🙂