You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded PDF permissions error

On my iMac, either this feature is buggy or I just don't know how it is supposed to work.

I have only done very limited testing using Affinity Publisher v1.8.3 in the Dark UI, but when I use Text > Interactive > Insert Hyperlink I get this:

730638293_H-linkproperties.jpg.05b806300d1b9470bae5d2041d806eab.jpg

Note that the "Include File on Export" text & its checkbox is not displayed correctly. However, the box is checkable, & from what I can tell, it must be ticked for the exported hyperlink to work -- otherwise, in the exported PDF clicking the link opened in (for example) Preview app does nothing.

Also, bizarrely if I do tick the box & use the 3 dot menu to hyperlink to a PDF file on my iMac, it does work in Preview but if instead I add a hyperlink to a JPEG file, if I click the link in Preview I get this:

1745157175_noapp.jpg.e8a4aa06c93fb7a833b0742b07de4f24.jpg

Preview is the default app I have set to open JPEG files (it works fine if I just double click on any JPEG file on my Mac). Weirder still, if I click the "Choose Application ..." button in the above, all my apps are greyed out -- none of them are selectable.

If I hyperlink to a PNG file, the link never works in Preview.

At this point I gave up testing, other than a very brief test using the latest Mac Affinity Publisher beta, which worked no differently.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/21/2020 at 11:24 PM, JonDW said:

But when I export to PDF and try to select that hyperlink I get the attached error.

I have to export with the preset "Digital", the preset "Print" causes a similar message though "hyperlinks" is ticked in "More" options.

With "Digital" it works for a hyperlinked PDF like a charm.
For a hyperlinked JPG I get the same error like R C-R in preview.app (also with all apps grayed out), whereas in Acrobat I get for the JPG link a dialog window which want's em to confirm that the link will shown in an app external from Acrobat. If I confirm the JPG gets opened in my default browser (which, from preview.app, was grayed out, too).

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

On my iMac, either this feature is buggy or I just don't know how it is supposed to work.

What irritates me most is that the checkbox "Include File on Export" appears does not include the linked file inside the exported PDF.

My test PDF with just two text links has 13 kB only, the linked resources 750 kB + 50 kB. That would mean all files would have to be in one specific folder before linking them and this folder has to be e.g. emailed to a client together with the exported PDF. Not comfortable this way, somehow like having a html document with linked images in a subfolder.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

What irritates me most is that the checkbox "Include File on Export" appears does not include the linked file inside the exported PDF.

What it does here is to place a copy of the file in the same folder that I export the PDF to. I am not sure if this is a bug or the intended behavior.

Regarding your "Digital" preset, I do not have anything with that name in my preset choices -- could that be because of language differences between the German & US English UI?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What it does here is to place a copy of the file in the same folder that I export the PDF to.
(...) "Digital" preset, I do not have anything with that name

Oh, thank you, you are right, I just haven't noticed these additional files before. Makes me assume this is intended: it supports the user by resource collection (and, I assume, also adjusts the link paths this way?). I had thought it would include all resources in the exported PDF (possibly not useful, could blow up unwanted the total page number in the main PDF).

Don't you have these? – But, sorry!, I was wrong before: also preset "Print" exports with working hyperlinks, too, if ticked in "More" (don't know what went wrong before).

694462865_pdfpresetdigital.jpg.dcc6922e9ad53f5c645c3d423b704c5e.jpg

• PDF (digital - small size)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8 ) at 72 DPI, downsample images of >90 dpi, embed all fonts, sRGB colour space, include hyperlinks and layers.
  • PDF (digital - high quality)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8 ) at 300 DPI, downsample images of >375 dpi, embed all fonts, sRGB colour space, include hyperlinks and layers.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Publishing/publishPDFFiles.html

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Don't you have these?

Doh! Yes, I do have them & they do work if the 'include' option is used. But there is still something buggy about that if I use the "Preview export when complete option" in the Export dialog, that being that the first time I click on the hyperlink after Preview app opens, I get the same 'don't have permissions' error. Pressing "Cancel" & then clicking a second time on the hyperlink opens the linked PDF.

However, that doesn't happen every time I use the 'preview' option. I think it depends on if Preview was already running or something, but I am not certain about that.

There are also a few other oddities in the Hyperlinks studio panel, like I usually have to toggle off of & back on an item for the icons at the bottom of the panel to work, & sometimes not even then.

Overall, it still seems like a very buggy feature to me.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

There are also a few other oddities in the Hyperlinks studio panel, like I usually have to toggle off of & back on an item for the icons at the bottom of the panel to work, & sometimes not even then.

Overall, it still seems like a very buggy feature to me.

Yes, the UI makes it tricky to use, for some panel items it's hard to tell how it is meant to work at all. Feels like a 'forgotten' feature test with preliminary test UI. I think since APub's hyperlink feature was experienced quite detailed + reported a year ago by @A_B_C it did not really get an improvement.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=hyperlink&author=A_B_C&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

7203704_SearchhyperlinkA_B_CinAllContent.thumb.jpg.248fa5e6aa747ed19805180b08bdda38.jpg