You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Somehow I have selected something that causes the layers panel to show Adjustments up when you hit merge. The the adjustment is gone, although still in the history. Click on it once and it successfully post to layers. I. have tried unsuccessful to find the button that changes it back to the original setting. This second approach solves the problem but really disrupts my work flow.

Your guidance here would be gratefully appreciated.

Robert Gale

[EDIT] E-mail removed for privacy reasons/avoid being harvested for spamming [EDIT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forums :) 

I'm not sure if I have understood your issue if possible could you provide a screen recording of the problem?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Callum@

Here are six files that show what I am experiencing. When I pick an adjust, for instance BRIGHT/CONTRAST, it appears in the layers display and in the history below that. After the MERGE finishes the layer showing BRIGHT/CONTRAST disappears although it remains in the history. If I click on the SET ADJUSTMENT PARAMETERS, it reapers in the layer box, and remains. 

I have gone to view on the content tool bar, scrolled to studio, and tried both with the LAYERS checked and unchecked with no change, OBTW I am using the latest version of AFFINITY.

I am enclosing 6 partial screen shots that should let you see what the problem is. Your interest in helping me is appreciated.

DSC_1495b.jpg

DSC_1495c.jpg

DSC_1495D.jpg

DSC_1495E.jpg

DSC_1495F.jpg

DSC_1495A.NEF

If you want to retain the adjustment layer, try Merge Visible instead of Merge Down.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You may be misunderstanding the use of Adjustment Layers.

Adjustment Layers do not have to be merged to take effect

In 99% of cases there is no need to Merge the Adjustment Layer at all.

Once you have added an Adjustment simply click on the "X" in the Adjustment Layer's dialogue box to exit the Adjustment, there is no need to click the Adjustment Layer's Merge button. Clicking the "X" button will not cancel the Adjustment you have just made; it simply closes the dialogue box.

Adjustment Layers are meant to stay in the Layers Panel so you can click their thumbnails at any time in the future to further refine the adjustment.

Simply add as many adjustment Layers to your image that you want and leave them there. You can then, at any time, click an Adjustment Layer's thumbnail in the Layers Panel to call up the adjustment again to further tweak its settings

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.