You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Waning Gibbous Moon and the Cloudless Sky

Jeremy_Waller

Greetings Viewers,

I have been taking pictures of the phases of the moon for a photo competition. I need to get 8 good pictures of the different phases of the moon. Early this morning at 05:20 I took some photographs of the Waning Gibbous moon. The two pictures are:

1. The original colour (looks B&W) image.

and

2. The colour saturated image (looks good enough for the comp.)

To give you an idea of the condition of the sky I took a picture of the sky looking to the north-east. The morning was a cold morning with frost on the ground and totally cloudless and very transparent. The joy of having high altitude aircraft grounded for the last month or so. The colour saturation was increased to show the bands of scattered light.

As the dawn progressed to sunrise the "normal" flock of white cockatoos (about 300 - 400 birds) made their way to their morning roost to join with another (approx 1000 birds) then to take off for the days' foraging for seeds and roots etc.

Next moon session is on Saturday - heavy rain predicted.

Jeremy.

moon_stack_1983_2003_web.jpg

moon_stack_1983_2003_colour_web.jpg

cloudless dawn_2018_web.jpg

cloudless_dawn_with_birds_2025_web.jpg

Love the saturated image, where was this taken?

What gear was used?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Greetings Firstdefence,

These images were taken from the patio of our house at Sandy Creek, South Australia. The rear of the house faces the East and the sky conditions here are very, very clear.

The camera used is a Canon M6 Mk2 - excellent camera, even if I say so myself !

The lens for the moon images is an Astrophysics refracting telescope - 130mm diameter / F6.2 ie 820mm focal length and the wide angle pictures were taken with the same camera with a kit lens attached - 15 - 45mm.

Regards,

Jeremy.