You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Add Dialog Box to Name Newly Created Items

With regard to efficiency, a small complaint that I have with the Affinity suite in general is that it always requires an extra step to name newly created items like swatches, collections, spare channels, etc. 

It would be nice, when creating a new item like a swatch or a spare channel, if a dialog box would appear upon the creation of the new item, allowing one to name the new item in one fluid sequence, rather than forcing the user to first create the new item and then go back to reselect the new item, right click, and then select the "Rename" menu item.

Thanks for your consideration.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this topic up to the top, as it hasn't been acknowledged or addressed in over a year.

In the name of efficiency, please implement a function that automatically generates a naming dialog box for any newly created item (e.g. color swatch, spare channel, etc.). It would save the user extra clicks.

It may help your cause if you were less vague about what you mean by “items like”. Which “items” specifically?

Also, you may need to be more specific about what you mean by “dialog box” as that can be interpreted in numerous ways. A pop-up modal dialog, or a non-modal dialog, or something else?

Also, have you thought about the people who may not want this to happen? There will be a lot of people who are used to how the software works already and may not want to have to name these “items” every time they create one. If you want to change how something has worked for years then you need to take this sort of thing into account.

Here are my top three items which drive me up the proverbial wall.

Designer
Swatches Panel
    Add New Document Palette.
Currently requires a trip back to the hamburger menu and navigation to the Rename item.
    Add New Global Colour.
Right click and navigation to the Rename item.

Photo
Channels Panel
    Create Spare Channel.
Right click and navigation to the item. Frustratingly there is no incremental numbering, all the channels are named Spare Channel.

I never want my new Document Palettes to be named Unnamed, Unnamed 2 with their new swatches to be named Global Colour 1, Global Colour 2 etc. And the same is true for the Spare Channels. Only occasionally am I satisfied with Spare Channel as a name.

The Brushes work the same way as the Palettes from the Swatches, in regards to Categories. I don't find it in the least useful to have to navigate to the hamburger menu's rename item to change the default Brushes name.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.