You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer can't open/create file on EI Caption Beta5

Recently I upgraded my MacBookPro with Retina 2014 to EI Caption Beta5. Sadly I find Affinity Designer can't open or create file. I have tried reset Preferences. But the worse is the Preference Dialog keep open and can't be closed even I restart my computer.

Can someone help me? 

Hi galilio, 

I've just installed & updated El Capitan to the latest version (15A225f), on an external hard drive for testing Affinity. 

What version of El Capitan Beta are you using? 

​The version I have seems to behave itself regarding creating new & opening existing files in Affinity Designer. 

Screen shots below: 

If you need to update the Beta, maybe the problem will go away? 

Paul. 

I could be completely wrong but something in the back of my mind makes me think that there are public betas and developer betas.  Galilo mentions beta 5 but I think the public betas are only up to version 3.  Perhaps he has a developer beta that is later in the development process than the current public beta.

But, as I said, I could have this completely wrong. 

• Staff

Yes, it's Developer Beta 5 - build 15A235d that introduced the problem. It will be resolved as soon as we can verify a few more fixes have had no adverse effects and build the beta. Hopefully this will be today :)

Hi all,

I had an interesting conversation with an Apple Certified IT guy who administers our Macs.

He said that Apple will deliberately alter things in a Beta Update just to see how much gets broken & then fix the breakage in the next update!

Can this be confirmed here?

Paul.

Hello everyone!

who can help me with the export Affinity designer in EPS.
The fact is that when you open a file in Adobe Illustrator ENS, it turns out an awful export EFFECTS shadows blur rasterized and squares, if the settings do not put export rasterized effects, when opening a file no effects. And when exporting to SVG generally stagnant fill color instead of red turns crimson and is a distortion of the gradient.

Who can help me? thank you thank you thank you!

Tatyana

post-15790-0-42330100-1438437180_thumb.png

post-15790-0-24861400-1438437181_thumb.png

post-15790-0-10880500-1438437182_thumb.png

post-15790-0-98310900-1438437182_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Tatyana

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity doesn't support transparency when exporting to EPS. EPS doesn't support transparency.

The FX effects (the shadow in your example) will be rasterised or will not be exported if you have Rasterise unsupported effects unchecked in the Export dialog.

Currently there's no way around this other than exporting in other format.

The fact is that when you open a file in Adobe Illustrator ENS, it turns out an awful export EFFECTS shadows blur rasterized and squares, if the settings do not put export rasterized effects, when opening a file no effects.

EPS does not support transparency, so we have to rasterise, but it should look better than that. Could you attach the Affinity file so we can take a look at it?

SVG does support some transparency, and again it's hard to tell what the problem is without the file.

EPS does not support transparency, so we have to rasterise, but it should look better than that. Could you attach the Affinity file so we can take a look at it?

SVG does support some transparency, and again it's hard to tell what the problem is without the file.

Well, I attach a file to the Affinity Designer
I hope for your help

Thank You !!!

drop.afdesign

Hi Tatyana

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity doesn't support transparency when exporting to EPS. EPS doesn't support transparency.

The FX effects (the shadow in your example) will be rasterised or will not be exported if you have Rasterise unsupported effects unchecked in the Export dialog.

Currently there's no way around this other than exporting in other format.

Hi MEB!
Thank you very much for your reply!

I hope the developers will make the gap with the export, and you'll have to do the work twice, to draw in affinity and effects in Illustrator and CorelDraw for Windows OC 

Well, I attach a file to the Affinity Designer

Thanks. As MEB says, the rasterisation is caused by the shadow effect rather than transparency. The reason it looks wrong is that the gradient behind it is being output wrong, and the rasterisation matches how it should be rather than how it is. We've added it to our list of things to fix.

Another informational update, now running Public Beta 4 (15A243d) and Affinity Designer *stable* and things seem somewhat better.  The issue remains, but CPU doesn’t ramp up and memory usage doesn’t spiral out of control as much.  Designer isn’t a critical app for me—in fact I’ve not had a chance to use it yet—as I do little to nothing with graphics.