You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Most of the time, when I copy content from one document to another (all 8" x 11" landscape), or from one page to another, the pasted content falls exactly in the same place as the copy.  This is good.  However, sometimes intermittently, the copied content pastes in a random offset position.  

I can't seem to find a command in Designer for "Paste in Place", which would be useful for times likes this.  There probably is a "Paste in Place" command, but I am new, and can't find it.

Thanks for any help on this.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Bobgraphics,

There's no paste in place button I'm afraid. When I try copy and pasting from one document to another it always pastes in place however could you provide a screen recording showing this not happening for you?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2020 at 10:47 PM, bobgraphics said:

However, sometimes intermittently, the copied content pastes in a random offset position.

This happens mostly when copy/pasting between different document sizes, or if documents have different DPI settings. - Though I recall, that copying and pasting SVG from other sources were here mostly affected from in the past.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Basically it appears to use the centre coordinates of the object being copied, so if e.g., you have a 400px x 400px square located at the centre of an 800px x 800px document, the centre of the shape appears at X: 400px, Y: 400px. If you copy this and paste it into a document that is 1,600px x 1,600px (regardless of any differing document dpi) the shape is pasted with it's centre at X: 400px, Y: 400px in the new document.

Copy/Paste between two identically sized documents and it effectively does the same thing so although it appears to paste in place this is simply because the objects centre coordinates are identical between the two documents, in reality its just an illusion and it isn't really pasting in place though it would be great if this feature were added in V2.0.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse