You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Don't Allow Changes to Hidden Layers

Please don't allow changes to hidden layers. Too often I've found myself painting on a hidden layer and not realizing it. Photoshop gives you a warning if you try and do so and makes you reveal the layer before any changes or marks are made. I would very much like to see this behavior replicated in Photo. 

Thanks for your consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree! Nobody wants to edit blindly, so this “ability” just makes it too easy to make mistakes and never realise. Maybe not a warning dialog (too many dialogs will disrupt the work) but maybe simply blocking any changes to the hidden layer?

I think this would depend on the action being performed.  Actions like painting on a hidden layer I agree could clearly be blocked, but what about moving a hidden layer?

If the hidden layer being moved is selected along with other layers, it may easily be intended to move them so they stay together, even though that particular one might not be visible at that time.  Preventing that layer from being moved while hidden could in fact be an undesirable behavior.

This probably requires some thought to be given to it on a per-action basis.

• 1 year later...