You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I understand from others on the forum that ones personal dictionary is not in the document, nor can it be saved in a form that can be sent to a colleague to use in collaborative work. Since the maps on which we are work have hundreds of ancient names (in Latin scrip), it would be extremely helpful to have this feature, i.e., a personal dictionary specifically named and exchangeable between different users. Thanks for your consideration.

I do not know if you are on Mac or Windows, but I do know in the case of the Mac they are relying on the OS built-in spelling system. That is not to say that it would not be possible to for Serif to make some built in functionality that could do it, as the file is readily accessible.

But on that note, the file is in fact quite accessible, so you could share it yourself. It is located in the directory /Users/username/Library/Spelling. (Note that you would have to substitute your computer user account name for username in that path.) Inside that directory, you would look for the language code, such as en for English. It is a simple text file that you can open and edit with TextEdit. Each word added to the dictionary is on a line by itself.

On most recent versions of MacOS, the user Library folder is hidden, but you can get to it quickly this way: in the Finder, while holding the option key on your key, go to the Go menu and select Library (which is not visible without the option key by default). Then next find the Spelling folder, and lastly the file you are looking for. 

• 8 months later...
7 minutes ago, John: said:

Where is the dictionary.propcols file I have heard about?

Answered in your other post about this, but here for completeness...

It won't help you for this; it is a non-editable file in an undocumented format. But to find it, the FAQ below will help you locate the directory, which depends on your OS and where you purchased the application:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1