You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo 1.8 can't change brush size with gesture

I am on Mac. If I use Designer in the Pixel Persona the key combination of Control + Option and a right left drag works for the brushes to increase/decrease size but if I am in the Designer Persona it docent work. This is using the Wacom.

Edit: I just tried again and the key combination works in both personas, as well as in Photo. Strange, do you have the most up to date drivers for the Wacom tablet?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes I do. I think it's the problem with windows fiering up windows ink. When I turn of windows ink in tablet properties shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+RightMouseClickNHold+LeftMouseDrag- jesus it is hell of a shortcut, can it be changed to shift + drag, please) works but then pressure sensitivity is gone.

• Staff

Hi staughost :)

We changed these keyboard shortcuts for version 1.8 - on Windows please hold down ALT + Right Click, then you can click and hold Left Click to change the Size and Hardness of your tool or Left Click once to change the Brush setting.

With the Paint Brush Tool selected this will cycle between Size & Hardness, Shape & Spacing and Rotation.

bb5d7665affb0f4c9e1ee592bef1b635.gif

I hope this helps!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, if you know the model number (usually on the back of the tablet) this will help me to try to replicate the issue here.

Could you please try disabling Windows Ink, restart the Affinity app and let me know if you're still seeing the same issues?

• Staff

Thanks for providing that information, I've tried to replicate this and I'm able to use pressure sensitivity with or without Windows Ink on in the Wacom settings.

Can you please double check that you're using a tool that supports pressure, as well as a brush that has variance set to pressure in the Brush Settings dialog?

• Staff

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the same behaviour here, as with or without Windows Ink enabled in Wacom Preferences, pressure is still supported.

Could you please navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools and let me know if "Windows Ink for tablet input" is enabled here? Please make sure this matches your external setting, in your case both options need to be set to off.

I hope this helps :D

On 3/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, Dan C said:

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the same behaviour here, as with or without Windows Ink enabled in Wacom Preferences, pressure is still supported.

Could you please navigate to Edit>Preferences>Tools and let me know if "Windows Ink for tablet input" is enabled here? Please make sure this matches your external setting, in your case both options need to be set to off.

I hope this helps :D

Finally a solution. Yest it helps. Now everything works, not sure how pressure will behave now without windows ink, it seems ok.

• 4 months later...

Oh sorry it works if you turn on ctrl then alt key. Why is there such a behavior? Is there a way to remove it? I personally hate it :) When pressing two hotkeys I don't want to have to remember the order of them.

Ah and now rotation dosen't work.

Ok where is documentation for shortcuts on windows thank you?

• Staff
1 hour ago, staughost said:

Oh sorry it works if you turn on ctrl then alt key. Why is there such a behavior? Is there a way to remove it?

The new shortcut for the 'quick brush editor' is CTRL + ALT - both these keys need to be held down for the shortcut to work, I've tested this here and the order in which these keys are pressed does not matter.
Unfortunately there's no option to change this shortcut at this time, my apologies.

Ah and now rotation dosen't work.

I'm not seeing this behaviour here, could you please provide a screen recording showing this?

Ok where is documentation for shortcuts on windows thank you?

You can find this in the Help file, linked below -

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts

Here is the thing. After some testing what happens is that ctrl+alt+leftmouse switches from width and hardness to shape and spacing or rotation. Is there any other shortcut that could trigger that editing?

aejiQoB.gif

image.png.2b6be003cfea0af03625131fa097ac66.png

this are incorrect.

And now I understand what is going on.

ctrl+alt+leftmouse drag = edit

ctrl+alt+leftmouse click = change mode

this should be stated somewhere that is obvious.

One more clarification why I tough it was ctrl then alt. It's because there is such a thing for zooming in and out. You first have to select one shortcut then other space then modifier. It's strange because it should go at least other way around ctrl then space (space isn't a modifier key).

4 minutes ago, staughost said:

After some testing what happens is that ctrl+alt+leftmouse switches from width and hardness to shape and spacing or rotation. Is there any other shortcut that could trigger that editing?

Ctrl+Alt+Click will switch the parameters that you can change. Ctrl+Alt+Drag will change the parameters you have selected.

Note the distinction between a Click with the left mouse button and a Drag (click+move).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
3 hours ago, staughost said:

image.png.2b6be003cfea0af03625131fa097ac66.png

this are incorrect.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll raise this with our documentation team now.

this should be stated somewhere that is obvious.

As can be seen in the Update log (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/121326-affinity-photo-for-windows-184/

On 8/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Changed brush parameter shortcut from Alt+RightMouseButton to Ctrl+Alt (same as macOS)

You first have to select one shortcut then other space then modifier. It's strange because it should go at least other way around ctrl then space (space isn't a modifier key).

I'm not certain what you're referring to here - to zoom you simply need to hold CTRL and use the mouse scroll wheel or / - to zoom in an out, so 'Space' isn't needed.

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll raise this with our documentation team now.

It is good to know that it's going to be fixed.

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

And how do I access to that page from affinity photo? Shouldn't there be a link inside application to update notes?

19 hours ago, Dan C said:
  On 8/3/2020 at 11:47 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Changed brush parameter shortcut from Alt+RightMouseButton to Ctrl+Alt (same as macOS)

20 hours ago, staughost said:

You first have to select one shortcut then other space then modifier. It's strange because it should go at least other way around ctrl then space (space isn't a modifier key).

I'm not certain what you're referring to here - to zoom you simply need to hold CTRL and use the mouse scroll wheel or / - to zoom in an out, so 'Space' isn't needed.

I don't use mouse with photo editing software. When using drawing tablet you don't have access to scroll wheel. Only way to get into dolly zoom is to press space bar first then ctrl to go into "zoom mode" and I fail to see why is it important to first press space and then ctrl instead of usual push two buttons and shortcut works?