You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8 Selection Issues

It might be just me, but since the update AD seems to behave quite differently with regards to selection.  I'm using the Wacom Intuos and Windows 10 and when I try to double click (double tap the pen) to select objects and go straight into editing nodes it seems very prone to nudging the objects around slightly and not actually selecting them.  It's intermittent and sometimes behaves just the same as in previous versions, but when it's "playing up", it really is almost unworkable.  

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue and is it something that the developers are aware of?  I don't like to grumble because I'm such a satisfied AD user on the whole.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I wonder if its related to the Wacom tablet as double clicking with the laptop seems ok (although I've not tested that as much because I always work with the pen).  Would there be any settings that affect how AD decides whether you're trying to double tap the pen or single tapping in 2 different positions - I'm presuming that's what it thinks I'm doing when it nudges the object about rather than goes into the node tool.  All I know is it wasn't an issue in 1.7 and I'm still using the same tablet etc.

1 minute ago, simoncooper118 said:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I wonder if its related to the Wacom tablet as double clicking with the laptop seems ok (although I've not tested that as much because I always work with the pen).  Would there be any settings that affect how AD decides whether you're trying to double tap the pen or single tapping in 2 different positions - I'm presuming that's what it thinks I'm doing when it nudges the object about rather than goes into the node tool.  All I know is it wasn't an issue in 1.7 and I'm still using the same tablet etc.

Don't use Windows but on Mac I used to see similar behaviour with my Wacom until I set the pen up to double tap with one of the buttons on the pen. My Wacom doesn't have a problem if I use the Touch feature and use my finger to double tap. I believe this is a sensitivity / timing problem as the first tap is interpreted as a 'select' and the second is considered to be a 'movement'. That is pure speculation on my part.

There is a sensitivity/timing setting for the Wacom for double tap in the preferences for the Wacom, should be there in Windows too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for your thoughts Old Bruce - I altered the settings on my Wacom for the double tap, but having tested it I think the issue remains.  Just hoping that other people come forward and it isn't just my problem!  There seems to be another glitch where when I try to select an object with Ctrl Alt and Clicking (which is supposed to be a good way to cycle through specific objects that are hard to select and worked well  back in 1.7) it starts duplicating them.   It's making illustrating much more difficult at the moment as I'm constantly moving pieces out of their positions relative to each other and then finding there's half a dozen copies of items in the layer panel!

Maybe it is down to a difference between Windows and Mac, I don't have those problems. As for the Ctrl Alt Click to select I have always just used the double click. Control alt/option click does nothing for me here on Mac.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

This might be nonsense but I was wondering if it could have been because I started the illustration in 1.7 and then updated....  don't know why that would cause such an issue, but I was hoping once I started a new project the issue might sort itself ... alas no.  I've followed Old Bruce's advice and fixed the pen settings to have a button be a double click, but there's definitely a subtle, yet fundamental problem here.  It's like the program is desperate to move things about now and every other time you click anything it dances around (well, moves slightly, but it's not helpful).  Have many changes been made to make things more sensitive somehow?  

I'm clutching at straws...

Here is a straw; Do you have the latest drivers? Driver 6.3.38-2 (Windows 7, 8, & 10) https://www.wacom.com/en-cn/support/product-support/drivers#latest

yeah I've checked that but thanks for your continued efforts.  I've reset the Wacom settings too but no change so I'm now more inclined to think it's all on the AD side and not tablet-related.  If anyone from the dev team is reading, are there any changes in the new update which would affect "clicking/moving sensitivity"?  Mind you, I'm not experiencing half the issues that others are mentioning on here with 1.8 so maybe I should be thankful.😁

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm a new Affinity Designer user and experiencig the same kind of problems using a Wacom Intuos Pro on Win 10. Selecting objects with the stylus causes them to move slightly and double clicking doesn't work either most of the time. Changing the pen settings don't seem to solve the issue. No issues with the touchpad of the laptop.

I hope there will be a fix for this since it makes working with AD quite difficult. Otherwise, an excellent program!

On 2/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, simoncooper118 said:

slightly

• Staff

Hi @Kaukokatse,

Welcome to the forums. We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers. As a workaround, you can try to disable Windows ink in both Designer > Preferences > Tools > Windows ink for tablet input, as well as in your Wacom Preferences.