You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5 minutes ago, Robin Rowland said:

Is there any way to create a text box within a text box?

You can draw a second text frame and then drag it over the first one on the page. You'll have to start drawing it somewhere outside the first frame.

Perhaps that's what you're looking for?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried that but the original text box then disappears.  I am working with photographs that I have to reposition frequently as design progresses and want to be able to pin the captions separately in their own text box rather than pinning directly to the relevant paragraph as the rest of the text may be changed. When I worked with a previous project using Scribus that is how I did it.

17 minutes ago, Robin Rowland said:

I tried that but the original text box then disappears.  I am working with photographs that I have to reposition frequently as design progresses and want to be able to pin the captions separately in their own text box rather than pinning directly to the relevant paragraph as the rest of the text may be changed. When I worked with a previous project using Scribus that is how I did it.

I would create a text frame for the caption, enter the caption, and group that text frame with the photograph. Then they will stay together better.

What is probably happening to you when "the original text box disappears" is that it's something to do with text wrap. But I would need to see some screenshots or (better) a sample document that illustrates that problem to say for sure.

Still, I think that grouping the caption and photo will be your best approach if that works for you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I uploaded the Affinity and PDF files for Dwright a couple of days ago when that helped me solve an earlier problem. If you still have those files available, you will see I do use text box captions for the larger images but the problem is the intext captions.   Our files are now out with beta readers who are noticing problems that our copy editor missed so things are still changing. Thanks 

RR

If you sent them directly to DWright I would not have access to them, as I'm just a forum user like yourself, not a Serif staffer.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

I never did get a reply to my private message.

However, since your last issue I saw the advice you gave on the new text wrap issue and grouping. 

Unlike the user in the Text Wrap Issue thread who apparently created the photo caption text box first and then tried to surround it with a bigger text box. I am creating the main text box first and then added the second caption text box later 

Creating a new text frame outside the old one is very awkward  (which is why there should be a dedicated caption option in future release) but finally I got it to work--somewhat.  But when I tried to add the caption, whether by typing or copy and paste. the result is backwards as you see from the attached screen grab. Could be a settings problem but not sure what

oppositetype.jpg

57 minutes ago, Robin Rowland said:

But when I tried to add the caption, whether by typing or copy and paste. the result is backwards as you see from the attached screen grab. Could be a settings problem but not sure what

It appears that you flipped the text frame horizontally, somehow. That would also flip any text you type into it.

Or, perhaps you drew the text frame from right to left instead of the more usual left to right?

-- Walt
PC: