You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am creating a newsletter. The text is in a a series of text frames, linked together for each article and with two columns per page. I would like to place an image into the text inline. I have viewed the Affinity Tutorial video on this, and have tried to follow it, but so far I have failed. I'm sure it is a matter of getting the right order between: placing the image on the page, selecting the insertion point in the text column, selecting the image and clicking on the Inline icon. As Eric Morecambe didn't quite say: I'm clicking all the right things, but not necessarily in the right order. 

Could someone please explain to me in words (not video) the correct procedure to do this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Without a link to the video it's hard to know what you're trying to follow, but this works for me:

Flow in the text.

Use the Place Image tool to choose and drop the image onto the page.

Use the Move tool to resize the image and place it over the text frame in the position you want it.

Do not select the text insertion point. Stick with the Move tool and keep the image selected.

Pull down the Layer menu and choose Inline in Text.

Your image layer should now be nested in the text frame layer, and will move as you edit the text.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

@h_d, The tutorial I was trying to follow was this one in the Official Video Tutorials.

I tried following your suggestions and ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Flow in the text", but I double clicked within my target frame text. Here is the frame and text. My aim is to insert the image in the gap between the paragraphs. 
1929845294_OriginalFrameText.png.ff7acc1f41301d51c3644cb612eb5399.png

I now place the image and it appears as here:
Placed.png.e189fa8a11ae8ad18a8d75f65418bed9.png

The bottom-left hand corner is in the right place, but it is covering up the prior text.  I use the move tool to position the text so that the top-left corner is in the target place. I now select Layer > Inline in text and I get this!
Inlined.png.735f882c334075afa55093af6fd1b51c.png  

If, instead, I leave the image with the bottom-left corner aligned and select Layer > Inline in text, I get:: 
Inlined2.png.9c462a1c4f9e97bcff0c1371907d9822.png

Here the image is still covering the prior text.

I find that using Float instead gives similar results. I would expect this since the image has been created with the same width as the frame text.

Thanks for trying @h_d but I am no further than I was.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I know you asked for written instructions but here’s a quick video that shows just the steps you need.

Thanks, @GarryP, that looks nice and simple.

John

@GarryP, Thanks again. That worked. Easy when you know how. The problem with the original video I watched was that at the start, the image was already in place.

John

For those who, like me, prefer the answer in words, here is my text version of @GarryP's video:

1. Place image within the target text box and ensure it is selected (Move tool).
  2. Click on the Float with text icon on the toolbar (Looks like a table-tennis bat). This will generate a line from the top of the image . As you hover over the blob at the end of this line,  an oblique arrowhead appears.
  3. Click on this arrowhead and drag it to the position in the text you want the image to go.
  4. Click on the Show Text Wrap Settings on the toolbar (leftmost of the three icons to the left of the Float icon) and select the Jump icon.
  5. Click on the image and drag into the desired position.

Note that you must click on the Float with text icon (not the Inline in text icon). My image was the right width so it did not matter, but if you need it inline that can be adjusted later.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad to have found this thread. I've been trying to do this as well.

When I select (with the Move tool) an image that isn't yet linked to anything, then click Float with Text, the image shifts position to an unexpected place on the page and is then linked to the text. But right away the image's frame is now locked ("x" characters instead of resizing handles). The image itself is unlocked.

If this is done with an image placed onto the page without a frame, then the image becomes locked when I click Float with Text.

That aside, in the Layers palette the lock symbol does not appear for the image or its frame. Toggling locking on and off again has no effect. So for now, the frame+image cannot be moved into the right position. Moving the "Float" line connecting the image to the text moves the image around on the page, but still it can't be moved to the correct position.

When I'm attempting to drag it, I see a small label appearing over the top of the image. It reads "0 objects."

I thought clicking the Float with Text control might toggle the setting off and then I'd have control over the frame or image (or both) again. It does toggle the setting — but the "unlinking" immediately turns the image into something unrecognizable. In the Layers palette, it has become extremely thin and very, very stretched in the vertical dimension. It disappears from view on the document page. I can at least delete it via the Layers panel.

Clearly I'm doing some things wrong here. How to
   1) set up this "float" with the image remaining movable; and
   2) unlink the image if need be and have it remain intact?

Thanks.

[Edit ... it's some setting in that particular Publisher document. I tried it in a brand-new document and neither problem described above occurred. In the other document, it occurs on all pages. What might I have done wrong in the document that has the problems? Is it possibly corrupted, somehow?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Unless anyone else has seen this for themselves it might be difficult to say what’s going wrong without access to the original document.
Is it possible for you to save a copy of the file and then strip away everything that isn’t relevant to this issue from that copy and attach it?
I’ve tried to replicate your problem with both an Image and a Picture Frame and cannot. However, I have seen some strange behaviour where the Image or Picture Frame is resized when I detach it from the text in a Text Frame after is was Floating (see attached video). I have no idea if these two issues are related or not. The video was made on Windows 10 Home in Publisher 1.8.2.620.

Later today I can try this: I'll remove everything from the document except the page on which the problem occurred, and see if it happens again there. As I'm still unable to upload anything to the forum — I sure hope they can fix that — I'll have to upload it to Google Drive and then post a link.

I'd hoped it was just a one-off problem that would be fixed when I closed and re-opened Publisher. After I'd been working in the "problem-child" document for a while, I noticed Publisher becoming sluggish, and odd things happened. For example, I drew out a new text frame with the Frame Text tool, placed the insertion point in it, and ... no insertion point. I began typing and the screen jumped as if I'd scared it to death. When I zoomed back in on the text frame, it contained nothing. I closed and re-opened Publisher, and at least that stopped happening.

Wonder how I'd solve the floating-image problem if it were to surface suddenly in a long document being used for a real-world job.

Thanks.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

I have also seen the same problem as @MikeA. I have been trying to place an image within a column of text and it suddenly changes shape by extending vertically. On those occasions, I exited without saving, re-re-opened the file and re-placed the image. Being cautious, I had saved the file before trying to place.

John 

I've put together a small Publisher document that displays the problem and will add it to a new message in the Bugs forum. If the can't-attach-a-file-to-a-post problem is still with us, I'll put it on Google Drive and add a link to it. If all else fails I can email it to Serif. In that post I'll link to this one, for reference.

(edit) Wow ... this forum software is becoming quite the challenge. I started that new message, inserted a link into it — and the entire message simply disappeared. Maybe I'll have to send this in email to Serif after all.

– Anonymous cynic