You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 questions regarding Layer Effect Outline

Maybe this is by design?

Question 1 (complete Affinity range): Is it by design that the Layer Effect Outline has always rounded corners?

Question 2 (APu only): Is it by design that the Layer Effect Outline (e.g. an outline of 5 mm) does not add 5 mm to an object size? Text wrap settings ignore the 5 mm outline. If I add an outline to an object I would imagine that this outline is part of the object.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

As an extra observation regarding Layer Effect Outline: The Opacity of the outline overrides the Fill Opacity completely.

Example: Create a small rectangle filled with black. Add an red outline 500px inside (the value does not matter) and give it an opacity of 50% and the fill opacity 100%. You'll only get the outline opacity.

Crude example. :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

My attached GIF shows what I get.
I see that the Outline Effect (with Inner setting) overwrites the layer at all times, even when Opacity of the Outline is 0% (essentially an erasure).
I’m not sure whether this is what I would expect as it’s not what happens with the other Effects.
For example, choosing an Opacity of an Inner Shadow of 0% does not ‘erase’ the part of the layer which the shadow is over, the shadow just disappears.
Maybe there’s a good reason why it works the way it does but I can’t think of one at the moment.
It would be nice to find out if this was expected behaviour or not.

outline-effect-opacity.gif

• Staff

Hi Joachim :)

19 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Question 1 (complete Affinity range): Is it by design that the Layer Effect Outline has always rounded corners?

It is, as there's no 'Join' setting, as there is with a non FX stroke, we use the default Round Join option. There is already an improvement logged to add the Join option to the FX dialog which would allow you to control this.

Question 2 (APu only): Is it by design that the Layer Effect Outline (e.g. an outline of 5 mm) does not add 5 mm to an object size? Text wrap settings ignore the 5 mm outline. If I add an outline to an object I would imagine that this outline is part of the object.

This is by design - as any FX added to an object does not affect its bounding box, and the bounding box is used to calculate text wrapping. This is also the behaviour in InDesign, so you will need to rasterise the object (and not retain the FX) for the FX size to be accounted for when text wrapping.

As an extra observation regarding Layer Effect Outline: The Opacity of the outline overrides the Fill Opacity completely.

Example: Create a small rectangle filled with black. Add an red outline 500px inside (the value does not matter) and give it an opacity of 50% and the fill opacity 100%. You'll only get the outline opacity.

Again, this is by design - however in PS there is an option to Overprint the outline FX to counteract this. There is already an improvement logged for this overprint function here, so I'll bump this log with your thread now :)

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!