You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Somehow one of the texts from affinity to svg doesn't export nicely. As you can see the lower text got squeezed, and not retained its isometric grid while exporting. I can view this SVG file on the web and affinity without any problem. But if I try to open this in Sketch app, it looks weird. Any idea what's causing this issue? 

CleanShot 2020-01-09 at 21.26.35@2x.png

• Staff

Hi Abinash Mohanty :)

16 hours ago, Abinash Mohanty said:

I can view this SVG file on the web and affinity without any problem. But if I try to open this in Sketch app, it looks weird. Any idea what's causing this issue? 

This is likely due to the way Sketch reads SVG transformations. Please open the Export panel and with SVG selected, click the 'More' option in the bottom right of the dialog.
Here, please try unticking Set View Box and ticking Flatten Transforms, then export your SVG again and open this in Sketch.

If your SVG still doesn't look correct, try the same 2 options above and also tick Use Relative Coordinates, then export and try this file.

Please do let me know if this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear that!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

If your SVG still doesn't look correct, try the same 2 options above and also tick Use Relative Coordinates, then export and try this file.

Have you tried the above also? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for your file! I can see this particular layer has been converted to an Artboard (hence the small artboard name which is visible on your design), which is the reason you cannot export correctly to SVG currently -

image.png

Please copy the text from the object, delete it, then draw a new text frame and try exporting your SVG again :)

• 1 year later...
  • Staff
On 4/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, Ision Industries said:

Why does having the text as an art board cause problems like this with SVG export?

In the OP's document, the text was an Artboard layer (which is essentially a container) nested within a rectangle, within a group.

When exporting 'Artboards' to SVG, a <rect> object will be created to specify the size of the Artboard. I can only imagine that Sketch's SVG importer was not 'used' to SVG files like this and did not know how to interpret it - as OP confirmed:

On 1/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Abinash Mohanty said:

I can view this SVG file on the web and affinity without any problem. But if I try to open this in Sketch app, it looks weird

When exporting and importing documents, not only the app that you're exporting from, but also the app you're importing into must be taken into account.

As for the use of Artboards in the above document, I would recommend that artboards should be used differently to this and if you require a text object you should use one of the specific text tools provided.
If you'd like to provide a copy of your Affinity document then I'd be more than happy to take a look and offer further suggestions :)