You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML: Replacing missing files

Observation I made. There are more or less two ways how to handle missing files when you open an IDML.

1. You are asked in a dialogue if you like to search for the missing files, say yes, locate the file, file will be replaced and if there are more files in the folder that are missing, they will be also replaced without further interaction -> GREAT.

2. You are asked in a dialogue if you like to search for the missing files, click Resource Manager, locate the file, file will be replaced. Other missing files from that folder will not be replaced automatically -> not great. Additionally you get a warning dialogue saying "Image Policy. Your document contains a large amount of embedded image data. ...". No, there are no embedded files, so clicking Yes or No is pointless here.

It would be nice, when visiting the Resource Manager and searching for the missing files, that other files being in the folder will updated automatically, like in method 1 above.

As a side note: Manually replacing the files from the context toolbar with the Replace image button is not working, since all information on how the original image was positioned seem to get discarded.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Other missing files from that folder will not be replaced automatically -> not great.

This isn't just related to IDML, it's just how image replacement works in general.

The logic here is that when you click on a specific resource in the resource manager you want to update only that resource, so doing the additional check will give unexpected behavior, where as on file load we do the additional check to re-link as much as possible.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, Joachim_L said:

As a side note: Manually replacing the files from the context toolbar with the Replace image button is not working, since all information on how the original image was positioned seem to get discarded.

I've only had a quick look at this so far but this seems to be alright for me, is it a particular image type that you replace? Any additional steps to reproduce this?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

12 minutes ago, Jon P said:

I've only had a quick look at this so far but this seems to be alright for me, is it a particular image type that you replace? Any additional steps to reproduce this?

I have to correct myself a little bit. The handling of replacing images is not broken, but "malformed". ;)

1. Create a simple Indesign document with only 1 image and save as IDML.

2. Rename the image.

3. Open the IDML in APu.

4. Close the window with the Missing Resource(s) warning.

5. If you look now at the document you'll see a red questionmark.

6. Here we come to the "malformed" part: Clicking the red questionmark, hitting  the Replace image button, searching the renamed image and open it, results in an empty frame. To avoid this, you have to visit the Layers panel, click the image inside the picture frame and then go through the replace procedure.

For me it does not "feel" like a natural way to replace an image. Additionally confusing is, that picture frame and image inside it have the same name. But this is only my opinion.

The first part of my post about automatically updating images can be argued about. If we assume that NONE of the images were modified, why could they not replaced automatically even in the Resource Manager?

Something different would be, if the images were modified. There it makes sense, that they are not replaced automatically.

I beg your pardon for the awful grammar in this post. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

So this is kind of by design. Basically in InDesign everything exists in a frame, even though it might not be initially apparant, so when we import an idml file with an image in (even if it's missing) and click on it and click "Replace Image" you are selecting the frame and placing a new image in the frame so it won't preserve all the placement settings.

Your workaround by selecting the image inside is valid.

I've raised this with the devs to see if we can somehow make this a better experience, but it unfortunately just boils down to differences between the apps and how frames are handled

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P -- well, I wouldn't let the developers off the hook so fast, with a respectful nod to all the things they do accomplish very well -- for example, the way image functions are so much better than 'the other brand'.

I think the problem Joachim raises clearly is behind the difficulties I had exactly with replacing images, in fact when providing files to test another bug.

These were _quite_ frustrating, as nothing worked at all as in InDesign, which uses frames galore, but is sensible about them. I finally ended up fresh-creating images, as seeming the only sensible way after enough time wasted. But this should never be.

I'll suggest a simpler way yours can work, which will also not interrupt anyone who might be used to another.

I would feel:

• clicking on an image and replacing should...simply replace the image. What else wouild be sensible??
  • If 'frames are always present', fine. Replace the image, as you know what's inside its frame.
  • The name of the frame should say that it is one, as opposed to being the image itself
  • If you click on the image inside the frame, once again replacing should replace it.

This kind of situation arises when 'programming thinking' is held above user thinking.

• If you want to use a particular kind of structuring internally, fine, please do
  • butalways, make the use presentation simple and direct. No extra hierarchies should interrupt, as at present here.

Best to each,
Clive

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.