You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Boxes with Shift Click and Excel Data

So I am working on a directory for a client

It has 1. Name 2. Website 3. Description 

1 and 2 work fine typically with text box, paste excel data and shift click to fill down to the next pages.

#3 is where it becomes problematic -- a description can vary widely from 200 characters to 1000 characters

If I format my excel data to all have 1000 characters (including whitespace) -- Pasting into Publisher removes the whitespace and messes up my text box shift clicking

Then I tried adding a period to the end of the whitespace -- again pasting into publisher removed the whitespace.

Any thoughts for a workaround? Why would pasting remove the whitespace?

My alternative is using stupid mailmerge in microsoft word.... please no 

I'm not using Excel to paste any text

The example shown below is just a test frame in Publisher with 40+ spaces in it ending with a period

I've highlighted the text so you can see that most of the spaces appear to be outside the text frame giving the impression that some have been removed.

I would have thought that adding spaces to a text frame would cause them to wrap to the next line when they reached the end of the text frame boundary but they don't appear to do that.

Not sure what is happening here but I suspect you may be experiencing something similar?.

PS It's the same in the latest beta and in Photoshop Elements so now I'm totally confused as to if this is normal or not(?)      

spaces.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

If you are using a Windows version of Affinity and do not need to edit the data you can paste your Excel spread sheet directly on the page using the Paste Special option and the Enhanced  Metafile type and the spreadsheet will be added as an image but keeping the formatting from Excel