You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Publisher work well with Wacom tablets?

Hi,

Before purchasing, I just wanted to confirm that Wacom tablets are properly supported in 'Publisher'; Specifically, the ability to highlight/select text. The reason I ask is that Apple's Pages has had an ongoing issue whereby text cannot be highlighted/selected with the Wacom Pen. It seems to highlight a chosen section, but as soon as the pen is lifted from the tablet the highlight disappears.

It's a known issue, that neither Apple or Wacom have managed to fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Many people here use Wacom tablets that work well.  You may want to post your Wacom model number just to be sure

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, el-bo said:

I just wanted to confirm that Wacom tablets are properly supported in 'Publisher'; Specifically, the ability to highlight/select text. The reason I ask is that Apple's Pages has had an ongoing issue whereby text cannot be highlighted/selected with the Wacom Pen. It seems to highlight a chosen section, but as soon as the pen is lifted from the tablet the highlight disappears.

I am using a Wacom tablet (with the latest drivers) on Mac OS 10.14.6 and have no problem with using the pen to select text (can't say about Pages though as I have never tried that application).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank-you both for the prompt replies.

I'm currently using a very old Wacom Bamboo, with legacy drivers. It is actually very stable in Mojave, which is quite surprising. I just have this issue in Pages. It's never been much of an issue before, because I've only really used Pages for writing short notes, pasting from other sources etc. However, I now have a bigger project to start and can't use the trackpad for something so big.

While waiting for a response, I did try selecting text in Affinity Photo, within a text frame. It behaved as expected, so that's encouraging.

I think I should probably just go for it. 

Thanks gain, to both of you :)

e

4 minutes ago, el-bo said:

I'm currently using a very old Wacom Bamboo, with legacy drivers. It is actually very stable in Mojave,

try looking here for the 'latest' Bamboo drivers. If you have trouble, "Don't fix what isn't broken".

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

try looking here for the 'latest' Bamboo drivers. If you have trouble, "Don't fix what isn't broken".

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Thanks!

I should've been clearer. They are legacy drivers because it's a 10-year-old unit (Bamboo Pen and Touch - CTH-460, CTH-660). The last driver update was in 2016, and that is the one I use. Like I said, I'm very surprised that it still works. in fact, it's so much more stable in Mojave than it was in Sierra O.o

Thanks again,

e

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

2016 is much more recent than I would have guessed.

Guess I got lucky :)

Anyway! Just bought and installed Publisher. Everything seems to work as expected. The only thing - And this is down to my own ignorance 0 is that I'd imagined i would be able to use it for basic word-processing, and thus eliminating the need for 'Pages', entirely. Maybe I can. Will just take some exploring, reading the manual etc. Will also probably buy a course on Udemy, which actually follows a project very similar to the one I need to do. Let's see if I can learn this thing in two weeks!

5 minutes ago, el-bo said:

basic word-processing,

To quote Jack Nicholson from some old movie "I would rather stick pins into my own eyes". Very Very Slow for that. Keep using a dedicated word processor, try TextEdit if you want to ditch Pages.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

To quote Jack Nicholson from some old movie "I would rather stick pins into my own eyes". Very Very Slow for that. Keep using a dedicated word processor, try TextEdit if you want to ditch Pages.

Thanks! I think that for the projects I'm looking at using this for, I could get away with doing most of it in Publisher. I don't have an issue with using Textedit, in principle. I just don't want to be having to deal with multiple file saves, in between different programs. And not being familiar with Publisher, I'm not sure how things work in relation to editing text once it has already been placed in and around other objects. I guess this is something I'll become more familiar with, once I get stuck in.

Anyway! Thanks again for all your help. 

Should be able to get stuck in, over the weekend.

Cheers,

e

1 hour ago, el-bo said:

I'm not sure how things work in relation to editing text once it has already been placed in and around other objects.

That is when you have to do the editing (spelling mistakes etc.) in Publisher. But if you want to write a few thousand words in Publisher I stand by what Jack said.

@el-bo  if you have enough time to learn the basics of Publisher before you start your project, there  is absolutely no reason why you can’t just use it!   For years I used Pagemaker and then InDesign to write books, and at no time did I fiddle with a “word processor” for anything.  Publisher has spell-check too.   Why not just do your writing, saving regularly as you go along, and then after you have proof-read your work, work on type styles, formatting, and text flow around any potential images.   You can always create the design in a new file, and then FILE>PLACE what you have written and saved in your original document.  I predict that you will really like Publisher, once you start!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

11 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

@el-bo  if you have enough time to learn the basics of Publisher before you start your project, there  is absolutely no reason why you can’t just use it!   For years I used Pagemaker and then InDesign to write books, and at no time did I fiddle with a “word processor” for anything.  Publisher has spell-check too.   Why not just do your writing, saving regularly as you go along, and then after you have proof-read your work, work on type styles, formatting, and text flow around any potential images.   You can always create the design in a new file, and then FILE>PLACE what you have written and saved in your original document.  I predict that you will really like Publisher, once you start!!

Thanks!

That does fill me with confidence. 

The project will be an ongoing thing (A monthly diet and fitness plan), and will be for my parent's eyes only i.e Not a commercial concern. So I can afford for it to be a little shabby 'round the edges to start off with. The theory is that I should improve each month, as I learn more, at which point I'll hopefully be confident enough to use it for lesson plans and handouts (should I ever get back to teaching).

So, at least for the moment, much of what I'm doing will be most likely just copying/pasting from other sources, with my own text additions. I guess word-processing is probably too elaborate a term for what I'll actually be doing.

Anyway! Thanks to everybody for the help/advice. Will just get started, and see how I go. 

:)