You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to apply shadow on multiple object layers (AD)

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

I´m not under the impression to need any workaround here:

How did you create the "shadow" layer so that its top, bottom, & left edges exactly matched the corresponding edges of the layers below it? What effect(s) did you apply to it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

It don´t need to match - it´s masked by the "head path"

OK, but how would you create this "head path" curve if like the OP mentioned the file already consists of several body parts in 100's of objects in different layers with transparencies, masks and so on?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can't help it if the work is already done. I said: "I´d make a shape for the face for instance and put any content/detail inside (masked by the shape) and the shadow shape at first in the hierarchy with either transparent grey or/and additional blend mode."

In the case of the example screenshot from @BenjiGameDev I´d draw a snapping/transparent/multiplied shape on top - no big deal really. In case of vector graphics planning has always been part of the process methinks.

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

In the case of the example screenshot from @BenjiGameDev I´d draw a snapping/transparent/multiplied shape on top - no big deal really.

Consider carefully the character in this post. It would indeed be a really big deal to draw a perfectly aligned path along all the outside edges of the hat, hair, & coat tail -- snapping isn't going to be much help with getting the angle & length of every node of that shape's handles to match exactly those of each of the other shapes.

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

In case of vector graphics planning has always been part of the process methinks.

Yes it is, but there is still a need for practical methods for things like this, particularly ones that do not involve extra work if as is so often the case, edits are required after the basic shapes are created. For example, consider doing something as simple as changing the size, tilt, or shape of the hat; or straightening the pigtail hair a bit.

Affinity Photo 

23 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I´m not under the impression to need any workaround here:

That's because you're working from a master shape, which assumes you know the final shape of the head before you've drawn it. 

See below how the chin is added on top of the actual shape face? That's how I'd work: i.e. add building blocks on top of the core head shape, and the chin protrudes (I intended originally to make a chinless character). The gradients on the shin would also be different from the rest of the head etc. So your method could work for some kind of drawing and working style I guess. In my case it would be constraining, so the work around with added boolean operation is preferable in my case.

image.thumb.png.528fd7c3aac13713825d5acee5b14280.png

19 hours ago, PixelPest said:

In case of vector graphics planning has always been part of the process methinks.

Oops :P