You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move Tool & Object Selection

Using the “Move Tool” I am unable to select any object without dragging a selection rectangle completely around all of the points encompassing the object.

Yes, I know one can simply touch on the path of an object but there should be a way to select even multiple objects by dragging a selection rectangle across any part of an objects path.

We need a way to possibly use something like “command-drag” a selection rectangle across any part of an object to select the entire object.

Example, if there were three objects then we can select all three by simply dragging a rectangle that encloses any part of all three objects at the same time.

Just something to consider. Any thoughts?

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

Hi Max,

Take a look in the 'Affinity Designer'->'Preferences...' menu and tick the option 'Marquee Select on Touch' in the 'User Interface' section. This enables the 'Illustrator' selection logic you're describing. If you're used to that, then this is what you expect, but to me (not being a user of Illustrator as I get far too frustrated with it) it's always selecting too many things!

Each to their own, and at least you have the option to choose how you like to select things :)

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the response. That does the trick. Like you said, long time Illustrator users expect that action but have the option to use or not use that was great foresight on the designers. Even with it on the normal “Move Tool” click on object or with the “shift” to select multiple object still works as before so I can see no downside to having it on. The best of both worlds at the same time.

Another problem that I use to run into with Illustrator users all the time was whenever, by accident or otherwise, an object got moved outside of the drawing board and it would get lost out there. With AD, doing a “command-a” will display a bounding box that will show you that there must be something outside of the drawing area. I discovered that if there is an object out of view (in AD) it is still selectable even though you can not see it but you would most probably have to have the “Marquee Select on Touch” ON in order to select it because you don’t know exactly where it is but by touching any part of it it will show up.

If such an object is left in the drawing and not known about the overall bounding box information will also be included in the file and the size can show much larger than the drawing area. That used to cause frustration in AI when printing documents because you may have a drawing that will easily fit on one page yet the printer may always print out two, three or more pages that are all blanks and no one could figure out why. Stray objects are always the cause of that.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

How do I toggle the view of these red rectangles? I do not want to see the parts that are out of the drawing area. This is Affinity designer.

I was working on an illustration when suddenly all the parts of the drawing outside of the drawing area became visible. When I open a new doc it still does the same, but old documents this is not the case.

PLEASE HELP

Screenshot 2020-11-26 203140.png

View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.