You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Design layers and pixel selection

Baffled.

I Open a picture and it comes in on a locked Background (Pixel) layer.
I Duplicate the layer.
I Hide the original Background layer such that it's now locked and hidden.
I deselect Edit All Layers.
I select the duplicate layer and change to Pixel Persona.
I add a Rectangular Marquee to the duplicate layer.
I select the Move tool and Hide the duplicate layer. The Marquee outline remains visible and selected.
I return to the original Background layer and make it visible. The Marquee outline remains visible and selected.
I press the Delete key on my keyboard and the Marquee takes a rectangular chunk out of the locked background layer.

What's happening?

10 minutes ago, Eddy-2 said:

I press the Delete key on my keyboard and the Marquee takes a rectangular chunk out of the locked background layer.

What's happening?

The marquee selection is not actually of or on a layer. Locked only means you can't move the object/layer, I know that is weird but it is what it is.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Bruce.

I've read that 'locked' doesn't mean what it says on the tin but didn't know about the marquee selection not applying to a specific layer.

I'm currently learning about pixel selection and am having some weird events. That could probably explain some of it.

• Staff

Hi Eddy-2,
The marquee will affect the selected layer. If a layer is locked you can't select it on canvas with the Move Tool but you can still select it through the Layers panel which we consider a deliberate action. There's one exception to this and that is when a locked pixel layer is located at the bottom of the layers stack - it's still selectable on canvas with the Move Tool (you will see the bounding box appearing with the handles marked as crosses) whereas if the locked pixel layer is on any other position in the layer's stack it can't be selected (no bounding box/handles will appear) with the Move Tool on canvas.

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Eddy-2,
The marquee will affect the selected layer. If a layer is locked you can't select it on canvas with the Move Tool but you can still select it through the Layers panel which we consider a deliberate action. There's one exception to this and that is when a locked pixel layer is located at the bottom of the layers stack - it's still selectable on canvas with the Move Tool (you will see the bounding box appearing with the handles marked as crosses) whereas if the locked pixel layer is on any other position in the layer's stack it can't be selected (no bounding box/handles will appear) with the Move Tool on canvas.

That clears up what I thought was a bug. Kept trying to get a reproducible recipe, I can stop now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.