jimmyleg

Create pixels at crop's alpha edge

I saw it done online somewhere recently but can't find it.  How does one let 1.7.3 Affinity create new pixels on the alpha borders of a severely cropped image?

Hi jimmyleg,

Welcome to the forums :)

My apologies, are you looking to expand the size of the Canvas around your image, without changing the size of the image? I'm not 100% certain what you're looking for in regards to 'creating pixels'.

Dan C. - Yes.  After cropping an image outside of its border the canvas will show alpha strips on the border. Can Affinity create an intelligent extension of the image on that alpha strip?  I thought I saw a video of that process, but I can't be sure *grin*.  If so, how do you do it?

3 minutes ago, jimmyleg said:

After cropping an image outside of its border the canvas will show alpha strips on the border.

Can you provide a screenshot showing those alpha strips? That's still unclear (to me, at least :) ).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Hi jimmyleg,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
cmd + click (ctrl+click on Windows) the thumbnail of the pixel layer to create a selection around its contents. Go to menu Select > Invert Pixel Selection to select just the empty/transparent parts then go to menu Edit  > Inpaint to fill them in (make sure the pixel layer is selected in the Layers panel).

Thanks, @jimmyleg!

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta