You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filesize-Problem: looking for good Export Settings for Download-Product

Hello Forum, thanks for helping us out!

We are looking for the right export settings for A4-pages in our download-section.
[We offer printables (PDF-Format) that people can download and print with their desktop printers at home. (Learn- and play material for Chirldren: www.wunderwerkstatt.eu]

What we found out until now:
The normal desktop printer provides better results with RGB than with CMYK (we use sRGB ICE61966-2.1) - and we need around 300dpi to get good, sharp results.
But our problem is the file size. For some Pages, it is around 28 MB (!!) for a single A4-page ... even when we lower the resolution to 200dpi and allow JPG-compression (to around 94% ... wich is not good for the image-ualitys as far as I understand) in the export settings.

Is there a trick or anything we could use to make the final file size smaller? (Apart from zipping the file?)

The thing is: when we export with the same settings in InDesign (CS3), we get a filesize between 1,4 and 2 MB. – But we want to migrate to Publisher!

Do you have a sample Publisher file with embedded images you can post here? 28 MB are way to big for a single A4.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Can you upload the Publisher file that created the above PDF file?

Make sure the images are embedded

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, leechi said:

you either compromise image quality or you have to deal with file size.

cant find a single image thats above 300dpi btw

Thank you ... well - with other products, we use illustrations of our own, that we scan with 600dpi. In the end, all that matters is what the destkop-printers of our customers are capeable to produce... And most desktop-printers talk about using 300dpi ... that's why it was my default setting. 

How is it possible, that InDesign (CS3) produces a 1,4mb File with the same export-settings?

Edited by michael_designer

1 hour ago, michael_designer said:

@carl123 Thank you for your reply ... here the is page, I try to export as publisher file ... 

RGB8_SamplePage.afpub

Your file did not upload correctly (truncated)

Try again or upload to dropbox or wetransfer and post the link

Thanks

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 oh great .. -> here is a google-docs share-link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cOpS3NN2p_FhrDgPgqx7r64snnsodzgX/view?usp=sharing

@leechi  do you mean to use fixed colors in stead transparency-effects when designing ... or do you mean some export setting (that I can't find in the export-settings-box)??

Tank you!

15 hours ago, michael_designer said:

@leechi  do you mean to use fixed colors in stead transparency-effects when designing ... or do you mean some export setting (that I can't find in the export-settings-box)??

Tank you!

i mean exporting. and if you dont find the advanced settings box id suggest starting there (see screenshot its photo however not designer)

either transparency/alpha is reduced when exporting your pdf or the printer software does it for you. reason being is fairly simple: a printer cant print transparent elements. a 100% black field in 20% opacity gets converted into 20% black. quick maths *dab*

its always desirable to reduce it yourself, because you have no control over how a printer processes the PDF. you do however have full control when exporting PDFs (given you know what you are doing).

the only reason you would want to keep transparent objects in your PDF is so that someone working at a commercial printing press could potentially edit certain things if need be. and thats really it. else there is simply no use for it.

this line of thinking is reflected in the pdf printing standards. a pdf X-1a standard doesnt allow for RGB files or transparent objects and reduces/converts it upon writing the PDF. its *idiot proof* and hence still the best PDF standard almost two decades later.
a more modern standard like X-3 or even X-4 is much more lenient. letting you embed ICC profiles, RGB and LAB and whatnot.

the PDF you wrote is just a free for all where everything goes. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a unicorn running around inside of it somewhere. so the basis for comparing file size just isnt there.

it would be interesting if you could export a pdf x-1a from CS3 and from Affinity and then compare the filesize once you used a standard we could really compare and see if affinity is just bad at exporting PDFs :)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-08 um 10.23.44.png

Thank you for your comments and all the information!

Well ... our best solution is now a JPG compression of 79% (see file attached) – with 300dpi we get a comfortable filesize of 6,7MB.
But we HAVE to use the PDF 1.7 Standard, as we need the file to be in RGB (not CMYK) - so the transparency-export-setting stays the same. :60_sweat:

PASSTWeltraum_Werkstatt_Sonnensystem.pdf

Edited by michael_designer