You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Would LOVE an Affinity VISIO-like addition!

A full blown CAD would be nice for the truly technical folks, but for the average user a VISIO-like addition with easy 2D/3D design capabilities would be great. I used to use Visio for all sorts of things like floorplans and creating simple 2D layouts that could be saved as DXF type files.  There's plenty of CAD programs out there, but most are pretty complicated. And now with 3D printing a virtual home hobby, the ability to create a simple 2D or 3D design and print out a small part within a familiar suite would be awesome. 

• 3 months later...

I posted a similar request in 2015.

Diagramming App

Things get confusing when CAD and Visio are used in the same sentence.

By definition, CAD (computer-aided design) software is used by architects, engineers, drafters, artists, and others to create precision drawings or technical illustrations. CAD software can be used to create two-dimensional (2-D) drawings or three-dimensional (3-D) models.

Whereas Visio is a drawing and diagramming software that includes a variety of pre-drawn shapes and picture elements that can be dragged and dropped onto a blank page or infinite canvas.

For me, if Affinity were to design a diagramming software similar (or better) to Visio, I would be the first in line to purchase it.  In 2015, Affinity were very busy developing iOS and Windows version of Designer and Photo in addition to Publisher (replacement for PagePlus).  Now that these are in place, it would be nice to know if something like Affinity Diagram is in the works or being considered.

OmniGraffle is Visio like and just as expensive and even more if you want their Visio import features.  I've tried most of the ones that have been listed in various forums but was never quite satisfied with them.

The idea here is to show that there would be an interest for an Affinity diagraming app especially if the same design goals from their other apps are applied.  When I originally post the idea in 2015, I was really amazed at all the responses.

• 2 months later...

I am a big but infrequent Visio user and would really like Affinity Design to have similar capabilities and use Visio old files .vsd and .vss and .vst

Conversion to Affinity format OK to make them work in Affinity. I have hundreds, probably thousands, of content in .vss stencil files (i.e drag smart shapes into drawing space.)

I'm already trying to convert old Creature House Expression 3 and MS Designer 4 brushes for use in Affinity and pretty successful so far....though a few old features don't work. Would be nice to have Affinity Designer look at those old programs and re-incarnate as many features as possible; the basics in Affinity with Vector paint strokes is already there.

Can users easily share saved vector brushes?  I see some for sale, but is there a place we can exchange homemade ones for free? Maybe here somewhere>

ANNOT_U vss.jpg

Doug AD brushes examples.jpg