Sounds promising, I don’t know what the roadmap is but, here are
a few things I would like to see...
1. being able to paint, add text, shapes, gradients, paths and photos and be able to convert them to normals and use later blends would be awesome. Being able to produce a height map would be a nice addition to this.
2. An auto affine tile Tool would be great, and as mentioned, toggle tile view would be Good for seeing the repetition.
3. Some kind of quick layer based Colour ID creator, maybe based on layer naming? For exporting ID maps
4. As mentioned, a shadow removal tool for albedo maps is a great suggestion.
5. A simple 3D viewer would be nice. No need to paint in 3D, but would be nice to paint in 2d window and have it update fast in the 3D viewer
6. Create an auto backup layer of the original image, shape, text etc when normals are created would be good.
I'm up for testing any updates on this.