You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame cannot be deleted

MJBFI

17 hours ago, carl123 said:

There is something a bit odd going on, Preflight finds and shows the problem but Font Manager does not

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

The Frame Text layer containing the Page Number is selected and no character is selected within that Frame Text layer.

I might be wrong but I don't believe that is how Font Manager works, all it is doing is locating instances of the selected font, it's not designed to locate the actual unsupported character/s.

If you change the first instance of Arial that Font Manager locates (i.e., the Page Number on the Right Hand Master Page) to a different font and then go back to Font Manager, select Arial again and click Locate it will now select the Page Number on the Left Hand Master Page.

Repeating this process will then highlight the Created and Last Edited dates on the Left Hand Master Page followed by Created and Last Edited dates on the Right Hand Master Page and then the text on Page 1 containing the offending unsupported character but it won't highlight the unsupported character itself as that isn't what Font Manager is designed to do, it is simply highlighting instances of the selected font, in this case Arial.

What is missing from Font Manager is a Locate Next button as selecting any font in the list and clicking locate only ever highlights the first instance of that font regardless of how many instances are used in the design.

Double Clicking the error in the Pre-flight panel however, as mentioned by everyone, does exactly that, it locates and highlights the unsupported character as intended.

So I don't think there's anything odd going on here.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

On 5/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, RMP said:

How to get rid of these "locked" frames? - BTW I did nothing which could cause the frames to be "locked".... and no, they are not on the master page.

I'm clearly missing something here but all the locked frames that appear on Page 1 of the uploaded file are on the Master Page. What am I not understanding here?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

I might be wrong but I don't believe that is how Font Manager works, all it is doing is locating instances of the selected font, it's not designed to locate the actual unsupported character/s.

Ah, that makes what I see make sense even if the functionality is somewhat 'obscured'/limited (see below). Thanks for pointing that out.

What is missing from Font Manager is a Locate Next button as selecting any font in the list and clicking locate only ever highlights the first instance of that font regardless of how many instances are used in the design.

That, or something like it would seem to be a good addition (and/or, in the meantime, renaming the existing button as “Locate first usage” so its purpose is more obvious).

So I don't think there's anything odd going on here.

Now that you’ve explained my mistake in reading the Font Manager, I’m not seeing anything odd here either.

It’s worth noting that this is a Pre 1.9 thread.
It might be better for the OP to start a new thread in “Questions” with a title that resembles the current situation, which has changed since the thread started – Deleting Text Frames → Missing Font Characters.