You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do I Change "Background" to "Image"? - Designer

Hello!

I'm on Affinity Designer Win10. Images seem to automatically be opened as "background." The only exception I've found is when copy & paste an image from the web.

I was attempting to edit the gradient of the images. I've already done it successfully with another image I copy & pasted. My question is, is there a way to change an image from "background" to "image"? I've tried copying & pasting the same image in the same file and it didn't work. I want to be able to edit the gradient of the image without the entire page being edited with gradient.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Edited by Remy LeBae
added info

On 9/29/2019 at 7:59 PM, Remy LeBae said:

My question is, is there a way to change an image from "background" to "image"?

"Background" is just the default layer name automatically assigned to raster image files (like JPEGs, PNGs, or GIFs) when opened in Affinity Designer or Photo. "(Image)" is a type of layer, like "(Pixel)" or "(Curve)".

You can change a layer name to anything you want but that will not change its layer type.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In addition to what @R C-R said, layers named Background are normally pixel layers (yours is too, as can be told from your screenshot). Pixel layers are typically even more versatile than image layers, so I think what you want to do is really something else. Maybe clarifying what you want to achieve could help us point you into the right direction. For example, it's not clear what you mean by "I was attempting edit the gradient of the images".

On 10/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, R C-R said:

"Background" is just the default layer name automatically assigned to raster image files (like JPEGs, PNGs, or GIFs) when opened in Affinity Designer or Photo. "(Image)" is a type of layer, like "(Pixel)" or "(Curve)".

You can change a layer name to anything you want but that will not change its layer type.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:59 AM, kaffeeundsalz said:

In addition to what @R C-R said, layers named Background are normally pixel layers (yours is too, as can be told from your screenshot). Pixel layers are typically even more versatile than image layers, so I think what you want to do is really something else. Maybe clarifying what you want to achieve could help us point you into the right direction. For example, it's not clear what you mean by "I was attempting edit the gradient of the images".

okay, I see what you're saying. Here is a comparison of editing the photo as a background vs image.

First image is opened as a background. The second image is what it looks like when I attempt to edit the gradient.

https://imgur.com/a/M75JUNi

https://imgur.com/zT6blfE

Now this next one is what it looks like when I have the photo pasted as an image.

https://imgur.com/2iAwcan - By default, it's a grayscale color gradient.

I know the other way of doing it is to create a separate layer with the gradient and rasterize ( https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24811-gradient-fade-to-transparency/ ), but there is little manipulation you can do with it. Is there an easier way to achieve this?

Perhaps you simply need to rasterize your (Image) layer so it is a (Pixel) layer instead. You can do that via the Layer menu or by right-clicking on it in the Layers panel.

Edit: Or, if you really are wanting to go the other way, with your background image: Use File > New to create a document of the proper size, then File > Place to put your image on top of it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm afraid I still don't get it entirely. So, from what I can see in your screenshots, you want to overlay an image with a gradient. Is that correct? If so, using the gradient tool directly on an Image Layer is certainly not the way you should do it, even if it gets you the appearance you want to achieve. My suggestion would be to create a rectangle, fill it with the gradient you like and then play around with the blend modes in the Layers panel to mix it with the underlying picture until you get the desired look. You may also want to look at the opacity slider and the Layer Blend Ranges to further modify how your gradient blends with your image.

There are three advantages with this approach: First, you can change the color gradient at any time by just editing the fill of the rectangle. Second, it's the most flexible option because blend modes allow you to really fine-tune how the gradient is applied to your image. Third, it doesn't make any difference at all if the underlying layer is an Image Layer or a Pixel Layer - the result will be the same.

Just as a side note, I don't even think that the gradient tool was ever intended to be used on an Image Layer directly because I don't see any logic in how the gradient colors are mixed with the image in this case. At least I cannot reproduce the appearance with any blend mode if I use a separate layer for the gradient. The color blend mode kind of comes close but it's still not an exact match.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 6:44 AM, kaffeeundsalz said:

I'm afraid I still don't get it entirely. So, from what I can see in your screenshots, you want to overlay an image with a gradient. Is that correct? If so, using the gradient tool directly on an Image Layer is certainly not the way you should do it, even if it gets you the appearance you want to achieve. My suggestion would be to create a rectangle, fill it with the gradient you like and then play around with the blend modes in the Layers panel to mix it with the underlying picture until you get the desired look. You may also want to look at the opacity slider and the Layer Blend Ranges to further modify how your gradient blends with your image.

There are three advantages with this approach: First, you can change the color gradient at any time by just editing the fill of the rectangle. Second, it's the most flexible option because blend modes allow you to really fine-tune how the gradient is applied to your image. Third, it doesn't make any difference at all if the underlying layer is an Image Layer or a Pixel Layer - the result will be the same.

Just as a side note, I don't even think that the gradient tool was ever intended to be used on an Image Layer directly because I don't see any logic in how the gradient colors are mixed with the image in this case. At least I cannot reproduce the appearance with any blend mode if I use a separate layer for the gradient. The color blend mode kind of comes close but it's still not an exact match.

Wow this was much better than the way I did it. Thank you! I was able to complete it using this method. I guess the gradient tool is for simple shapes then

Edited by Remy LeBae
typo

3 hours ago, Remy LeBae said:

Wow this was much better than the way I did it. Thank you! I was able to complete it using this method. I guess the gradient tool is for simple shapes then 

I happen to have learnt very recently that tinting an image layer with a color like you did in your original apporach is an official Affinity feature. James Ritson makes use of it in a new video that's part of the official tutorials. So please forget that "just as a side note" part of my previous answer. ;)