You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert to Picture Frame option does not work with all file formats.

MichaelG

For my workflow, I usually want my graphics to be in a picture frame. However I do not always know the size or proportion of the graphic before I place it. So I use File > Place first to import the graphic, and then I use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame to place a frame around it. Then I resize it and pin it as required.

This approach works fine with raster formats such as JPEG or PNG. However if I place a vector format such as EPS or PDF, the Convert to Picture Frame option is not available. Furthermore if I create a picture frame first and then try and place an EPS graphic inside it, the frame seems to disappear.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Mike G.

• Staff

EPS/PDF's are viewed as linked documents, which is why the right click menu is different, but I can't think why it would be disabled so I'll get this logged.

Furthermore if I create a picture frame first and then try and place an EPS graphic inside it, the frame seems to disappear.

I can't reproduce this with some sample EPS files I have, do you find it happens on any EPS file?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thank you Jon. I have attached a sample Publisher file with four embedded graphics, which you may recognise. From top to bottom the file formats are PDF, EPS, JPEG and PNG, and they are all embedded. On my system if I right-click on the PDF or the EPS graphic, the Convert to Picture Frame option is not available. On the two raster formats it is available.

Hope this helps,
Mike.

Convert to Picture Frame.afpub

• Staff

Hi Michael,

I had reproduced the right click menu being incorrect, I was more referring to when you mention placing an EPS graphic inside a picture frame that the frame itself seems to disappear? Do you find this happens with all EPS files?

I can have a picture frame and place an EPS file inside it and it appears ok for me.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

I have had another play with this, and I am now unable to reproduce the problem whereby the picture frame disappears when I place an EPS or PDF graphic in it. I tried with five different EPS files and one PDF and it worked perfectly. So I cannot explain what was happening previously.

I will continue with the project I was working on when I tripped over this and see what happens, and let you know if the problem returns.

Thank you for escalating the "Convert to Picture Frame issue, and for your support on this matter.

Kind Regards,
Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue " 'Convert to picture frame' disabled on EPS" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon