You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Untimely crash Affinity Photo Windows

Running Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 on Windows 10 with GeForce GTX 860M 16GB RAM. Intel i7 at 2.4GHz.

I had been working in Affinity Photo on a specific photo for about 15 mins. I was almost finished when poof! Affinity Photo just disappeared. Gone. Not in my ALT-Tab list of applications. When I clicked on my taskbar Affinity Photo icon, it opened from scratch with a blank canvas. Aaaaaaagh!! Any suggestions, tips, or ideas to recover all my work? Or how to prevent this in the future? With Affinity Photo do I need to start saving/re-saving every minute or two?

Thank you.

BNat

HI @nater973,

Via  Edit > Preferences > Performance you can define a  File Recovery Interval. I don't know if there used to be a default, just check it out.

On Windows the files are stored under:
%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\autosave

But if you didn't get a recovery message when restarting the app ... it may be something severe ...

You could also check if there are any crash reports created, 
%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\Reports

Hubert

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Hubert's post... I found the crash reports, but they are DMP files and I can't find a way to view them. I've had two more crashes since then. One of them prompted a recovery when I re-opened Affinity Photo, but the other one did not. However, I was able to recover the one today from the Autosave folder. Still, the crashes are toublesome.