You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CPU maxing out

• Staff

Hey dakotamccutch, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Is this having any adverse effects? Is it kicking your fans in causing noise? I'm somewhat surprised that just moving a layer would max out your CPU unless there were a ton of filters or adjustments. For heavy tasks, we usually strive to use 100% of the CPU.

Just to add that I, too, am having the same issue after the update. When simply trying to move a layer around everything sticks and moves in static like fashion. I thought it was my computer so I rebooted a couple of times. Checked task manager when the issues persisted and realized it is indeed affinity.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey dakotamccutch, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Is this having any adverse effects? Is it kicking your fans in causing noise? I'm somewhat surprised that just moving a layer would max out your CPU unless there were a ton of filters or adjustments. For heavy tasks, we usually strive to use 100% of the CPU.

Its a pretty significant performance hit, it doesn't even need to be moving I can click and hold it in one spot and my CPU goes for 20% to 100%. It doesn't use warp and the layer is literally not complicated at all, just a approximately cm by cm bolt for a drawing that's being moved with no effects or anything fancy like that. It was literally just after the recent update I notice it cause I have moved significantly more complex stuff before the update and it never even went above 60%

• Staff

Hey dakotamccutch,

Thanks for the update. I know you said it's a simple document but I'd really appreciate you uploading the afphoto file to this private Dropbox folder. Can you also provide your PC specs. We have lots of different machines that we can test the file on which may help us see what's going on.

• Staff

Hey dakotamccutch,

Strange. We have quite similarly specced machines (I've got a slightly faster CPU but you have twice the RAM) and we have the same GPU and I can't even get the CPU to spike over 70% and that's when I'm dragging all the objects together, zooming in/out with some pace and I've even tried duplicating all the layers and it is absolutely fine. 

Have you tried rasterising that bottom pixel layer or removing it? 

Could you screenshot your Preferences > Performance window to see if anything in there has changed? I really would not expect a PC with your specs to be struggling with this—at all! Something is definitely wrong here.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, Chris B said:

Hi Annfinity,

Ah, so you're actually getting a big performance hit? Could you check that you aren't using WARP from Preferences > Performance > Renderer. I can easily hit 100% CPU usage when setting it to WARP.

Yes, I am. Also not using WARP. Set to default ( VMWare SVGA 3D)

Not currently using my Mac so here's specs for Windows laptop: 

Processor: Intel (R) CoreTM i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz 

RAM: 8.00 GB

(Don't know if I did that right!)