You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

smudge tool behaves like erase tool

srg

2 hours ago, thomasp said:

Not sure what I'm looking at ;) but playing around with the 'Spacing' value in the brush parameters can help if the Smudge tool is not behaving well. I've set mine very low for smudge brushes.

What I am saying is that the smudge tool sometimes erase rather than smudge.

• Staff

Hi srg,
Please check carefully which layer you have selected when smudging and if it has transparent areas/parts. In documents with several layers/elements cut out from other layers that seem to fill the entire document with pixels it's easy to smudge from a transparent part of another layer giving the idea you are deleting rather than smudging because you are actually pushing transparent pixels from these transparent areas. If that's not the case let me know and I will provide a link for you to upload the file for inspection.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi srg,
Please check carefully which layer you have selected when smudging and if it has transparent areas/parts. In documents with several layers/elements cut out from other layers that seem to fill the entire document with pixels it's easy to smudge from a transparent part of another layer giving the idea you are deleting rather than smudging because you are actually pushing transparent pixels from these transparent areas. If that's not the case let me know and I will provide a link for you to upload the file for inspection.

Hi MEB

It seems like it is exposing the layer underneath as you said.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:22 AM, srg said:

What I am saying is that the smudge tool sometimes erase rather than smudge.

As said - play with the spacing parameter: if set too high it creates a patchy brush streak that partially exposes whatever is under the current layer. It'll need to be really low to create a smooth, continuous look.