MartinKoss

Animal Fur Masking - Tutorial Required

Hi. I am attempting to place an animal on to a new background. The one I've shown here is just a practice run using a tiger that had a lousy background but the photo isn't what matters, I chose this one because it is difficult to mask. I have 2 layers; the tiger and the background are different layers. I masked the tiger out of the background and refined the selection as best I could figure out on my first attempt in Affinity Photo on iPad Pro.

However, I am struggling with a few things; getting a better refined mask and fixing that slight light edge on the tiger. So I'm hoping for any suggestions for fixing this or a link to a tutorial. I've searched but not found a tutorial that covers selective darkening (brushing an area to darken it) and how to get perfect masking around fur.

Thanks for reading and I hope this made sense.

Martin

Tiger copy-2048.jpg

Hi MartinKoss,

We have a good video on refinding masks/selections here which also covers working with fur.  To just darken parts of the image, trying use the Burn Brush Tool, it should darken the area you use it over :) 

You could also try the new option... (in APhoto 1.7.2)

Filters > Colours > Remove White Matte

On the big furry beast layer to remove the white halo around the edges

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did another image where I took a photo I'd taken of a tiger and placed it on a different background and I'm much happier with the results.

Tiger2 remake copy-2048.jpg