You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Install Over Trial Version?

I purchased Designer today. I already have the Trial version installed. Do I need to UN-INSTALL the trial BEFORE installing the actual product or will the install of the Purchased Version (1.7.1) OVERWRITE the installed Trial version? Thanks for your assistance.

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

If you purchased the app from the Affinity Store you can simply keep running the trial version until it expires, at which point it will prompt you to enter the product key.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Product was purchased and downloaded direct from Affinity. I deal as little as possible with/thru the AppStore. The expiry / prompt scenario posited thus appears improbable and could likely introduce 'install over-write' glitches which could be avoided via a clean install, yes? It seems likely the best way forward is deleting the trial and installing the .dmg file, inserting the product key when needed. Thanks for your assistance.

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

4 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

It seems likely the best way forward is deleting the trial and installing the .dmg file, inserting the product key when needed.

If you prefer to do it that way, drag the trial app to the Trash, empty the Trash and go to https://affinity.store/account/downloads to retrieve your product key and a copy of the .dmg file.

When following the above link, you’ll be redirected to the Downloads & Product Keys page once you’ve signed in.

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

Product was purchased and downloaded direct from Affinity. I deal as little as possible with/thru the AppStore. The expiry / prompt scenario posited thus appears improbable and could likely introduce 'install over-write' glitches which could be avoided via a clean install, yes? It seems likely the best way forward is deleting the trial and installing the .dmg file, inserting the product key when needed. Thanks for your assistance.

It used to be that you had to delete the Trial version, because it would not allow you to specify the product key.

Then Serif upgraded the Trial application to allow converting it to the retail version by entering the product key. Since they allow that, why go to do the trouble of deleting and reinstalling? They wouldn't have provided that capability if we shouldn't use it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, all. Since, as Walt points out, the Trial allows conversion to Retail with entry of the Product Key, it therefore makes sense to let it play out that way. I note that the .dmg is now versioned at 1.7.1.1 … has there been a further 'point upgrade' since 1.7.1? I'm assuming a check for 'Latest Version' in 'Software Update' may reveal a fourth digit … ? Please let it be a proper Blend tool … Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

I'm assuming a check for 'Latest Version' in 'Software Update' may reveal a fourth digit … ?

There is always a fourth digit (or rather, set of digits) but that’s just the build number; e.g. 1.6.5.135, 1.7.0.15, 1.7.1.1.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks. So, 1.7.1 is the latest & (therefore) greatest build for Designer, then? Damn. That means no Superwonderful Blend Tool, doesn't it … ?

24 minutes ago, Dr_No said:

So, 1.7.1 is the latest & (therefore) greatest build for Designer, then?

1.7.2 is currently in beta, but there’s no Blend Tool (Superwonderful or otherwise).

Alfred spacer.png

That means I'll need to create them in Fauxtoshop and import them, then …