You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Picker Tool won't reflect change inside Fill/Stroke

There is a bug in Affinity (whole 'family' - Designer, Photo and also Publisher), where sampled color won't relfect change inside FILL/STROKE window.

This is mostly relevant (and needed) to the gradient tool. Sampled color won't change inside specific color of gradient tool. 'Drag picking' does work, so it is possible to do it this way, however, if I picked color from different place of document at some point, it is a problem and I would need to select the object that I want change the color of first and only then navigate to the place of the color needed.

Also another bug is that there is default red sample, which doesn't matter, but is kinda odd :), but will be resolved with fixing this anyhow.

EXAMPLE: As you can see in the picture, I sampled yellow color inside document, however, this sampling doesn't reflect inside Fill/Stroke, which should.

PS: I am kinda missing in this forum another sub-forum for bugs that are relevant for whole 'family' (?) and not app-related as there probably are cases as this one.

I am using latest version 1.7.1.404 on Windows 10.

color_picker_tool.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You didn't get my point, please re-read the ISSUE carefully again as I wrote it.

IN SHORT: Picked color should be changed in all of the windows, not only "Color" panel swatch, but all of the Color Picker Swatches in whole Affinity product. It is clearly understandable from the picture provided.

Edited by mocny

4 hours ago, mocny said:

IN SHORT: Picked color should be changed in all of the windows, not only "Color" panel swatch, but all of the Color Picker Swatches in whole Affinity product

This is not a bug. Setting a color with the picker just places it in the small color sample circle next to the eyedropper. To change anything to that sample color (fill, stroke, gradient stop, whatever) you select the item (or items) whose color you want to change & click on the small color sample.

This is a useful feature because it means you can pick a color without it changing anything, sort of like having an extra color sample available besides whatever is set in the larger color sample circle(s).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am repeating myself guys... sampling color wont change inside SAMPLERS that are located deep within Gradient or Stroke SAMPLERS... I am not talking about actually changing the color of Gradient or Stroke, I am indeed talking only about sampling...

again, eyedropper is in multiple places inside the product, as there is that small sample circles and no matter which eyedropper I will use, the color should change in ALL OF THE SMALL circles right? or at least in my opinion should, because you may want to use that sampled color again in STROKE for example, but lets say you have sampled some color for use in GRADIENT... you guys are talking about changing actual color, thats not what I am talking about :)

in this video you can clearly see where the problem is... when you use eyedropper drag function and not eyedropper tool directly it works partialy however... I am saying partially, because the change of sampled color wont take effect in specific gradient POINT and there is still some default RED ugly color in that sampler... so I hope all is clear now ;)

Each sampled color in each of the different places the draggable eyedropper appears is completely independent of the others. Each of them only has an effect when applied to a specific color item (gradient stop, primary or secondary color, stroke or fill color, whatever).

This is by design. It allows users to have several different sampled color choices available simultaneously instead of locking them into one 'global' color sample throughout the UI.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7