You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

random crashes with Intel Graphics

aaf

Since some time I am experiencing random crashes in both Photo and Photo Beta. The application will stop responding and a few seconds after just exit without any error message. The CrashReports folder does not contain any logs. The Windows event viewer however does have an entry for every such crash. This is the "EventData" of the latest incident (german):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Photo.exe, Version: 1.7.1.404, Zeitstempel: 0x5d05d4ce
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.18362.207, Zeitstempel: 0xc5943461
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000f9269
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x17f8
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d53a33bddeabc8
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Berichtskennung: 509a8417-fa9d-4ce1-8a4a-fc5a79b2495b

These crashes appear to happen exclusively with hardware acceleration enabled - switching "Renderer" to "WARP" apparently solves the issue at the expense of much slower speeds. Sometimes there are driver crashes but they seem totally unrelated to Affinity Photo. They also leave traces in the event viewer but for the Photo crashes, there are no driver crashes that correspond.

The issue is somewhat hard to reproduce. To test, I usually open some .afphoto-file and rapidly zoom in an out, pan around the image and sometimes modify it a little bit. More often than not Photo crashes while zooming or panning. Sometimes it seems to be okay for a few minutes but sooner or later it will invariably crash. The issue is not specific to one file.

I tried different drivers (old ones which used to work, the latest drivers as well as the drivers supplied by Windows Update without any user interference) but the crashes remain. I even tried to reinstall Windows from scratch with a freshly downloaded image. Nothing seems to help.

I am using the latest Windows version (1903) with all current updates with an Intel HD520, currently with the very latest driver straight from the Intel website. Any help would be highly welcome as currently Photo is of little use to me. It used to work flawlessly months ago on the same hardware. I have absolutely no idea if its some Windows issue, driver problems or something with Photo itself. If there is any assistance I can provide, let me know.

Edited by aaf

• Staff

Hi aaf, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Could you install the beta and make it crash and then check the crash reports folder in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports and attach it (if there is one).

Here's a link to the beta:

22 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi aaf, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Could you install the beta and make it crash and then check the crash reports folder in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports and attach it (if there is one).

As I said in my starting post, I was able to induce crashes in both Photo and Photo Beta. Even with the version you linked in your reply. I was just testing Beta again, opened a file and very rapidly zoomed in and out again (using both mousewheel and the slider in the navigator) while also occasionally panning at different zoom levels. After like  10 or 20 seconds of doing this, Photo (Beta) closed without any error message. Also the reports folder is empty. There is however an entry in the event log, very similar to the one I provided in my first post.

I will attach a crash report from the regular Photo, that was created a littlle while ago - it was also submitted using the inbuilt uploader. I cannot tell though if this crash was due to the same bug I was describing or if there was some other issue. Maybe it can still be of use.

One final note: I had those "crashes without any error message" before while doing regular work. I just found that the rapid panning and zooming was an easy way to reproduce the issue for me with some level of reliability.

3fbaf490-f558-4b58-8760-0e8afd90967a.dmp

I created a new .afphoto- file, threw in some random pictures I found online, resized some of them, arranged them in no particular fashion, saved the file, reopened it and did my usual rapid zooming and panning => crash without error message or crash report in the folder. All this was done with the latest beta. The file is attached.

It didn't crash when there was just one picture in the file but that might have been mere luck - I cannot tell. Once again, I am not sure if the crash report I provided is connected with this issue since there is no report in almost all cases.

Here is the event log entry that corresponds to the crash (once again in german):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Photo.exe, Version: 1.7.2.424, Zeitstempel: 0x5d2791ea
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.18362.207, Zeitstempel: 0xc5943461
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000f9269
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x6d4
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d53e26be795b12
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Berichtskennung: 874a4160-b536-43fc-baed-22a02c822de9
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 

I cannot make much of that, though looking for the exception code 0xC0000374 yielded several hits (stackoverflow.com and others) with the gist being:

Exception code 0xC0000374 means STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION

Don't know if that helps. Good hunting!

crash.afphoto

Edit: I was just checking the event log entry that corresponds to the crash that actually produced the one report I provided earlier. The exception code and offset are exactly the same there (as in all the other crashes without a crash report). I thought that might indicate that it is indeed the same or a very similar issue. Anyhow - hope that helps.

Edited by aaf
added info