craftycurate

Can't Select Artboard with Artboard Tool

Hi

The Affinity Designer manual states that:

To select artboards:

Do one of the following:

• With the Artboard Tool selected, click an artboard.
  • On the Layers panel, select an artboard entry.
  • With the Move Tool selected, do one of the following:
    • Click on an artboard's label.
    • Click on any empty artboard.

However, when I select the Artboard tool then click the artboard, it jumps to the selection tool and selects the object at the cursor position. I can't find a way to make it select the Artboard, which I want to resize.

Also, I see no Artboards lister in the Layers panel - what is an "artboard entry" here?

My document only has one artboard (I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?) - does any of the above still apply, or must I have multiple artboards to use these methods? I hope not because artboard resizing in a single artboard document is a frequent operation for me.

What am I missing here? I'm using the latest release of Affinity Designer 1.7 on Windows 7. I'm used to the Adobe Illustrator implementation of artboards, and wondering if Affinity does it differently.

Thanks!
Richard

3 hours ago, craftycurate said:

(I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?)

No, they are created only if you tick the "Create Artboard" checkbox in the New Document window or use the Artboard Tool to create one in an existing document.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

9 hours ago, craftycurate said:

My document only has one artboard (I assume an artboard is created automatically on New Document?) 

If you did not tell Designer to create an Artboard, you have a document with a Canvas instead.

The Canvas starts out blank, just as in the real world when you're a painter, with no layers defined. An Artboard is in many ways similar to a Canvas, but in some ways different, and you can have many of them in your document. The Help for Artboards describes some of the differences.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta