You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crashing unexpectedly

This is my first week doing my work shifting away from InDesign and using Affinity Publisher; very pleased, however, I thought I should report that it has several times closed unexpectedly; no reason I can see. It helps that ... unlike InDesign does not take forever to restart. :) 

UPDATE: Okay, I have discovered the problem. Whenever I click "text styles" AP shuts down. Whether I highlight text or do not highlight text, if I click "text styles" down she goes.

I am up to date on APub and on MacOs.

Edited by davelsc
UPDATE; found problem

@Jon P I am having a similar issue with a file that lives on Dropbox. Affinity works fine with a fresh file, but as soon as the problem file is open, Publisher crashes in a few seconds. I'm really, really hoping there is a fix for this file. There are a lot of linked files in this document, but none that are on any master pages.

Do you also get this crash when accessing text styles on a new document, or only in a specific document?

In new documents also. I have done this with two new documents; one very basic only one page and one paragraph. Click text styles and instantly crashes; have tried several variations; same result every time.
NEW INFO ... If I click text styles with no document open then app does not crash. Now I just crashed creating a new page to test bug. Just crashed again trying to create a new page. Created new page from template with no text, no text box, click text styles; again instantly crashed. Hope this helps. I think I am going to uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps. What do you think?

macOS Mojave Version 10.14.5
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB

Another update: Uninstalled Affinity Pub; emptied trash; restarted computer; downloaded fresh from Affinity store; installed; the interface is now different; "text styles" is now the last tab to the right where before "effects" was; but no bug now; tested multiple times; all good. No idea but maybe this will help someone else.

I'm having a different issue. I have a file create last week that links a lot of images. It keeps trying to load the images. While loading, it significantly slows down my computer and I keep seeing the Finder disk space dropping from 48GB to around 20GB. After done loading images and deleting some pages with most images, my disk space goes back to 48GB.

• Staff

@davelsc When you say "click Text Styles" do you mean the tab, not the dialog. It sounds like it got fixed by being reset into it's default position, so if it was clicking the tab that caused it, it may have been related to where it was positioned/docked and reproducible.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

@davelsc When you say "click Text Styles" do you mean the tab, not the dialog. It sounds like it got fixed by being reset into it's default position, so if it was clicking the tab that caused it, it may have been related to where it was positioned/docked and reproducible.

Yes, it was the tab, and I think you are correct about the reset fixing. Strange thing also is I wondered how the files before the reinstall would function, so I tried to open them and they crashed the app when trying to open. At least one of them did open when APublisher restored. Anyway, sharing these things in case might help. I think I am clear of this particular hurdle now. So would recommend the reinstall to anyone having various crashing problems. And as I said in previous post, I removed the app, emptied the trash, restarted the computer and download fresh from Affinity Store.

• Staff

If it happens again let me know before you fix it, as I can get a copy of your workspace layout and it will help us reproduce it and fix it to prevent it happening again

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

47 minutes ago, Jon P said:

If it happens again let me know before you fix it, as I can get a copy of your workspace layout and it will help us reproduce it and fix it to prevent it happening again

I will do that. :) So pleased with Affinity Publisher; happy to help.

Update: my issue was solved by copying a version from my Dropbox folder to the desktop, then modifying all the paths to the images and embedding them. After that, I was able to put the file back on Dropbox and continue working. Frustrating work-around but I'm glad that it solved my issue. Can't attest to the text-styles issue though, that is strange.