You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer 1.7.1, Win] Prevent moving of objects to ArtBoard

Dear all,

how can I prevent that objects will be moved to an Artboard automatically?

To give you an example what I mean: I have layers as shown in attachment 2019-06-28_11-13-47.png. If I move the rectangle at the design it will be automatically merged into the Artboard which is the nearest and moved from previous layer "Hintergrund" into the related Artboard, see attachement 2019-06-28_11-14-57.png. 

Thanks four your support!

René

2019-06-28_11-13-47.png

2019-06-28_11-14-57.png

If you don't want objects on Artboards why are you using them?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If you don't want objects on Artboards why are you using them?

Good question! Come to think of it, I’m surprised that overlapping artboards are permitted: I can’t imagine a scenario where that would be useful (but I’ve hardly ever used artboards, so I may well be missing something).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I come from Illustrator and work there with the Artboards since ten years. I use them to have both pages of a flyer or similar in one file. This is the first Pro of Artboards within the German Artboard Help. But that's not the issue. 

Artboards within Designer would be nice if the objects would not be cut at the page borders but at the trims (please apologise if it is not the correct English word). Of course I could adjust an Artboard to the size which I have to submit to the print shop but then the corner ticks not correct anymore. Furthermore this behaviour would be inconsistent between Artboard and non-Artboard designs. 

Or is there another possibility to have more than one page within Designer? 

Edited by ReneCGN

I think we are talking about Bleed on an artboard. Go to File > Document Setup... just above Print...

175868476_ScreenShot2019-06-28at7_01_17AM.png.9e302e77711762855685a903bd600123.png

your can see the bleed as a light line around the artboard.

339222427_ScreenShot2019-06-28at7_00_29AM.png.f5b83c819cc6b16e5ca393d717bd0864.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thanks for the correct English word. 

I know where I find it. The issue is that objects will not be cut at the bleed but the page size. For example, if a page is A4 (210×297 mm page size) and the bleed is 3 mm on all edges the final size for the print shop is 216×303 mm. 

In a non-Artboard design objects will be cut at the bleeds. As an Artboard design objects will be cut at the page size. Interestingly in an exported Artboard design as printable PDF for the print shop, the objects will be cut at the bleeds. But I want to see objects also within the bleeds while creating my design. Maybe it is a bug or it is a feature which I do not understand. 

13 minutes ago, ReneCGN said:

I want to see objects also within the bleeds while creating my design. Maybe it is a bug or it is a feature which I do not understand. 

I don't understand it either, I think it is a really stupid feature and not a bug.