You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch-Import for images (for building musical scores)

Hi all,

building my first score with publisher.

My workflow:

• Writing the scores in a musical notation software
  • Exporting the pages as numbered TIFF-File
  • Importing these TIFF's in "order of appereance" into the DTP-Software.

Question:

Is there an routine which import such a complete image-folder? I.e.: QuarkXPress contains a tool named "Image-Grid". Didn't find s.th. similar in Publisher or in the docu.

Of course, XPress' "Image-Grid" has a ton of features. However..., in those scenarios margins, layouts, whatever... are regarded in the source-app (notation-software in my case). So the simple version of an "One image/One page-import", unscaled, starting at the 0:0-point of the physical page, would be sufficient for the beginning, if you should plan such a module?

Ah yes: Idealy these images should be placed in the very background-layer of the DTP-Document: So page-numberings etc. from Publishers Master-Pages will be seen on the top of the score-images.

Beyond this desire, your Publisher is a remarkable piece of software for me. Thanks for building up such an awesome software-project.

All the best!

thomas

A quick test shows that the images are imported and ready to be placed in reverse order. So you would have to work from the back to the front.

A note regarding importing TIFFs, if they are all the same size/dimensions/aspect ratio then you may want to consider putting a Picture Frame on your master pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, enchiriadis said:

Hi all,

building my first score with publisher.

My workflow:

• Writing the scores in a musical notation software
  • Exporting the pages as numbered TIFF-File
  • Importing these TIFF's in "order of appereance" into the DTP-Software.

Question:

Is there an routine which import such a complete image-folder? I.e.: QuarkXPress contains a tool named "Image-Grid". Didn't find s.th. similar in Publisher or in the docu.

Of course, XPress' "Image-Grid" has a ton of features. However..., in those scenarios margins, layouts, whatever... are regarded in the source-app (notation-software in my case). So the simple version of an "One image/One page-import", unscaled, starting at the 0:0-point of the physical page, would be sufficient for the beginning, if you should plan such a module?

Ah yes: Idealy these images should be placed in the very background-layer of the DTP-Document: So page-numberings etc. from Publishers Master-Pages will be seen on the top of the score-images.

Beyond this desire, your Publisher is a remarkable piece of software for me. Thanks for building up such an awesome software-project.

All the best!

thomas

Hello @enchiriadis,

welcome to the forum.

Something like a batch importer does not exist currently. Keep in mind that this is the very first version soon to be officially released. What they did so far is build a solid base of functionality and from there on they will add more elaborate features. A batch importer could be among them, I do not know. I think it is a good suggestion, though.

Instead of doing everything in APub, which will be more or less a manual process, you could think of a step inbetween. Either you export all pages from your notation software as an PDF with all pages in the correct order. Or you could use some utility to create a PDF from the exported TIFF files. Such a rather simple PDF file should be easily to be opened in APub. With this as a starter you can finetune your layout without the hassle of manually placing the score pages.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 hours ago, enchiriadis said:

So the simple version of an "One image/One page-import", unscaled, starting at the 0:0-point of the physical page, would be sufficient for the beginning, if you should plan such a module?

As I said in my earlier post you should put a Picture Frame on the Master Page just make it the size of the page and then your Page Numbers can go on top of that layer.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi all,

sorry for delay in response..., has been busy last two days.

@Old Bruce Good idea with the Picture Frame on the Master Page. Can put it indeed into the background. Works fine while drag'n dropping one img after the other into the Pic-Frames. It dowesn't work with a batch of image-files....

@dominik PDF-Import works fine as well as long as I'll drag it page by page. Here as above, the pic-frame will scale it.

However: The idea with the picture-frame is really helpful. Thanks! Will put them into my template....

And yes..., I know, it's the very first version. So i choosed this suggestions-forum of APub for my little idea. :) However: For me the PDF-Export works even in this Beta better then the appropriate function in QuarkXPress. Have two more scores to set up and I think, I'll stay for them with APub...

Thanks again! :-)

14 minutes ago, enchiriadis said:

Works fine while drag'n dropping one img after the other into the Pic-Frames. It dowesn't work with a batch of image-files....

I just tested with an 8 page document and chose 8 images by using the Place command File > Place. As I previously said Publisher loads them into a viewer in reverse order so I had to start at the back and work forward page by page but I think it was quicker than if I had used drag and drop. But whatever works for you is the way you should do it.

I will say that your idea of a batch importer for images could work, but as you also said "I know, it's the very first version.". We can only hope and wait.

Hey..., that's really cool! NOW I've got you - File>Place. Tried prevously via Drag'n Drop from File-Finder and got a batch of huge images in APub to sort it manually.

Ok..., File>Place works perfect here. I've got my (numbered!) images in the right order, the Picture-Frames scale them. Built my score in just a couple of seconds and some mouse-clicks. For me this function is absolutely sufficient. It's the solution I have been looking for.

Thanks for your advice! You made my day! :-)

All the best!

t.

2 minutes ago, enchiriadis said:

Ok..., File>Place works perfect here. I've got my (numbered!) images in the right order, the Picture-Frames scale them. Built my score in just a couple of seconds and some mouse-clicks. For me this function is absolutely sufficient. It's the solution I have been looking for.

What better could the Affinity team read the day before the official release :)

Glad you sorted it with @Old Bruce's help out.

Happy scoring!
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil